Rear handbrake adjuster jammed full on (cant move Car)

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

brillo21
1.8 8v

Rear handbrake adjuster jammed full on (cant move Car)

Post by brillo21 »

Hi I know this has been partially covered but everyone seems to manage to move the adjuster eventually, however while replacing the handbrake cables, I fitted them (pain in the a** job) and adjusted the offside handbrake shoes tight then backed off ALL OK, came to the nearside cable fitted then adjusted the handbrake shoes tight and the adjuster has jammed so cant be backed off, all adjusters were dis assembled and copper greased and were moving freely, I am now stuck with the nearside rear wheel handbrake jammed on I have bent two screwdrivers to 90 deg trying to move te adjuster wheel and just can not get it to move, handbrake cables are all free moving with no tension on them.

Has anyone got any Idea's I am at a loss

Thanks in advance

Regards

Marc
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Rear handbrake adjuster jammed full on (cant move Car)

Post by steve_earwig »

I've been there, on my D8 when I was first here. I was trying to drive it to get some movement into it, eventually in panic mode (I knew almost no-one here) I almost ran myself over (sloped driveway), at which point I asked for help. 2 mechanics turned up, called me an idiot and wrenched the disk off with 2 crowbars. It needed backplates after that...

Is it at all possible to drill out the shoe retaining pins? Not sure how much movement that would give you tho.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I think it's possible to push the whole adjuster sideways towards the centre of the hub via the inspection hole.
I believe I may* have done this while blindly aiming for the adjustment cog.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Apart from trying to use something stronger than a screwdriver and using a hammer on the adjuster, take out the screws holding the disc onto the hub then through a wheel bolt hole use a punch or something on the handbrake shoe metal frame and knock it backwards towards the backplate and or use something under the disc where it fits onto the hub to pressure it into lifting.
I know it sounds silly, but you are sure you are trying to turn the wheel in the correct direction?

If all else fails then try heat onto the adjuster or in a desperate situation, use an angle grinder and slice the brake disc down the middle...yes, been there, done that on some cars!!
brillo21
1.8 8v

Post by brillo21 »

Thank you all for the replies, I have resorted to making a larger hole in the disc where the adjustment hole is, for some reason the adjuster is just solid, cant understand why as it was all cleaned and covered in copper slip on all moving parts inc the thread, eventually gave in and drilled through the adjuster (2.5 Hours) going up a drill size at a time, so now the disc is off, I have been round all the motor factors this morning to get a replacement and they all come up with the adjusters for the 406 with rear drum brakes for some reason and they dont list any other type for the 406

Has anyone got a handbrake adjuster laying around in their tool box that I could purchase to clarify its the one with a threaded bar with a slot in the end for the handbrake shoe

Photo attached
Attachments
Drilled out Adjuster
Drilled out Adjuster
brillo21
1.8 8v

Post by brillo21 »

Ok guys, just in case anyone has the same problem as I have had, the adjuster in the picture is no longer available from the peugeot dealer as apparently it is a discontinued part.

However it is manufactured by ATE and after some searching it is also fitted to other vehicles from new supplied by ATE as OE I have purchased one from BMW Direct Part Number 34416851437 which fortunately is not discontinued.

Hope the info may help someone else out

Thanks for all the replies

Best Regards

Marc
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Marc, thanks for that tip - it's one to remember 8)
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.