rear seat belt

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

daniel
1.6 8v

rear seat belt

Post by daniel »

Hi everyone, I have just bought my first Peugeot, a 1997 1.9 TD estate and I think it's a gret car. Even all the electrics work. The problem I have is with the rear center seat belt. Having looked on the site, I find that everyone has had trouble with these jamming but the previous owner seems to have got round this by chopping it off completely. I cannot see how on earth i can get into the seat back to replace it. I can't seem to find a replacement seat from any scrapyards either. Can anybody out there suggest anything, PLEASE.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: rear seat belt

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there! Wow, a great MOT failure kludge you got there :frown: There was a post about swapping D8 and D9 rear benches which might have given you a few tips but I'll be jiggered if I can find it :frown:

I just had a squint at mine and I've got no idea how to get into it :?: Unless someone with experience comes along I'd suggest attacking it with a wide-bladed screwdriver at the bottom of the rear carpet backing, I'm sure you could just glue this back on if you mess up whatever it is that clips it on. Here's a thought, what will you replace it with? If you're getting one out of a seat in the breaker's then you can find out how it's held together the easy way (might be polite to ask the guy in charge first tho)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
daniel
1.6 8v

Post by daniel »

I've spotted a belt on ebay but I've cut the carpet on the back of the seat with a sharp knife at the point where there is a slight bulge, which i assumed would be where the inertia machanism is situated but all I found was that the seat back is made of a sheet of steel. My other thought was to fit a lap belt but after 2 hours touring the local scrap yards, i can't find a single car of any make that has a lap belt that fits my buckle. Maybe I'll have to resort to restraining my passengers with a ratchet strap :cheesy:
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Not done one on the 406 estate, but these are a devil of a job on most estates, I did one on a Mondeo a couple of weeks ago (mot fail), couldn't work out how to get at the reel part, then Steve, my mot mate, said to try slamming the seat back onto its mounting....worked perfectly after that :D :cheesy: Apparently, they have a cable attached as a safety feature and this often sticks causing the reel to stop moving.

I think you have to strip the whole seat down.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Watch out for the lower belt mount. On my old estate, the bolt ended up just spinning the captive nut, which would have meant a serious job (fuel tank out) to put a new belt in
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
daniel
1.6 8v

Post by daniel »

I guess I'll have to continue trawling the internet and get round some ore scrap yards. I have thought of another option though. I know where there is a seat back that would fit but in a different trim. so i could always fit that and get a set of good quality seat covers. my boss got some for his BMW and they were a very acurate fit and didn't look like seat covers at all. They were quite expensive though.
daniel
1.6 8v

Post by daniel »

I have solved the problem on a perminantly temporary basis. After a visit to another scarpyard this morning (sat), i found a grey lapbelt out of a Suzuki Swift which fitted ok. I will now take it for an MOT retest and it should pass as that was the only thing it failed on. I still want to track down another seat back in the right trim though to make it look original.