Re-trimming steering wheel

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

plod
3.0 24v

Re-trimming steering wheel

Post by plod »

As above, anyone done it?

I mentioned to a mate who works in a motor factors whether he knew of any stuff to repair scuffs on my leather steering wheel I bought the other day.

He said he couldn't personally recommend any, but suggested I retrim it myself instead.

He said it would take a little time, but pick the stitching out, then lay the leather out and use as a template on some new leather and cut to suit, then use some 24/36 hour adhesive and stick back on wheel and re-stitch up.
Now the top and bottom bits are ok, the bits that are worn are the side bits where your hands would naturally fall, so could actually "try" and trim in a different colour i.e the car is sherwood green, so could try and get some off cuts of a british racing green leather or something?

Thought initially it sounds bit daunting, but if I could find someone good at stitching, then how bad can it be??
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Re-trimming steering wheel

Post by omega »

i would think it would be a nightmare just cutting the leather into a circle
good luck
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Would it not just be a long straight strip?
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

HimBigChief wrote:Would it not just be a long straight strip?
well maybe but you would have to make it longer and cut it size to allow for the curve, then you would have to make holes in it so you could sow it and somehow get it nice and tight,simple yeah