Power Folding Mirrors

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

stealthe
2.0 16v

Re: Power Folding Mirrors

Post by stealthe »

I haven't actually got round to this on my exec, but I was planning on putting the relays under the dash, probably near the blower in the pass. footwell. Then run two wires to each door and hook up the fold motor wiring.
I was thinking of using the fold position on the mirror switch to control them manually if desired (gone off that idea!), but a switch in the acc. feed to the relays would do the job, and would work for people without the exec door switches.
Got the idea from my 407, but hooking into the central locking may be tricky, a microswitch to trigger the mirrors may be possible though. I prefer the simple options first!

stealthe
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

has this been done yet does it definatley work, im interested in doing it but just need to be sure it works and doesnt affect the bsi
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

The circuit I posted would use a permanent live from the battery, and a switched feed from the ignition switch. I know that the 407 may not supply a switched 12v from
the acc position (it's controlled by the bsi.), but as far as I know this is not a problem on the 406. The only part that I can imagine is connected to the bsi is the mirror controls/window switches hence the desire to avoid playing with them.
The basic circuit above is only attached to the battery and the mirrors, you could even add a manual switch instead of the ignition feed and have it totally isolated.

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

well, this would be an interesting mod, well in PP2000 in test by ecu, i have this menu " seats and mirrors with memory " , when i select it, says " the Ecu did not respond ", and i have this 2 things attached on the BSI, underneath it :

So, is this for the heated seats buttons or its for the folding mirrors ? because as far it seems, this 2 colour things gets out, and in there fits two 5 pins relays ... so.. what are they for ?

Anyone here with folding mirror could check this ? or with heated seats ?

A friend of mine doesn't have this extra wires like mine have , and is only 3 months early ... mine : may 2000 his august 2000
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Mine has those: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12920&p=114902&hili ... re#p114902

I've just had a look at them again - one of them is the seat heater relay (hooray!!) the other one has no wires connected to it but I have folding mirrors.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

Just tested the folding mirror from a '52 exec on the 2000 GTX, no wiring modifications.
Basic mirror movement functions as normal, so no need for a loom change.

GTX on the left, Exec on the right,
Two black wires at the end of the GTX plug are for the temp. sensor. Red and blue are for the heater on both plugs.
Green, white and brown are for the position motors, pink and yellow/green are for the fold motor.
Yellow, orange, purple and grey are for the position sensing/memory on the Exec.

stealthe
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

"If" the plodmobile stays i'd like to try this as I have D9 mirrors as standard on my car

I did mention about this before on another thread as I have a slot for a switch on my door

Finding the switch might turn into a bit of a pig's scrotum, but I do like a project
However after searching service box, it turns out one is available - part 7 - 6552 LG MIRROR SWITCH- EXT MIRROR ELECTRIC-FOLD BACK

13/04/11
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Scrub the finding the switch a bit of a pig's scrotum

Dealer price:
00006552LG MIRROR SWITCH 17.21 GBP 20.65 GBP :D :D :D :D :D

stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

I've seen D9 (smooth) mirrors fitted to D8's, so I guess the position wiring is the same. If you used my relay circuit, the mirrors would fold with the ignition (acc. pos.)
If you added a switch to the ign. feed (to cut the power) you could fold the mirrors in without turning off the ign. Or you could just use a switch to provide the switched power to the relays
and fold the mirrors at will. The window lockout button may be suitable?

stealthe
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Well added it to my "To Do" list :lol:
Found the cover for the switches as well - 00009393S9 ARMEST MOULDG 6.62 GBP 7.94 GBP

Could do with an idiot's guide for wiring though Stealthe - please :lol:

I guess this is part of all those extra wires within my electric seat wiring conversion that have been snipped
Think it's a bit beyond me, but bet you could get this up and running, and have the memory function working on the seats

stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

If you can wire in a car radio you can wire up the relay circuit. Here's the post with the terminal numbers, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12652#p115136
Follow the instructions and you'll get a spaghetti of wires that'll fold your mirrors.
More info about relays here, http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Personally, I'd put the relays under the dash somewhere and run speaker wire to the mirrors.

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

stealthe in the reply that you posted the pictures, the first image you mention that you didn't need loom modification, i can i be sure i have the same loom ? i don't know how to remove the mirror, by the way how could you test it, do you have the drivers switch with the " A " position ?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

The unmodified loom still works the basic mirror functions (up/down, left,right). the fold function will need to be wired up.

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

I'll have to check if i have that pink and yellow cables in my mirror's , hope i don't break anything trying to take it apart :roll:

where to start dismantling it ? Or is there anywhere more easier to know that those cables go to the mirror ?
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

A quick guide to dismantle your mirrors here. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12652#p115163
In the pics above, the first pic shows the mirror mounted on the car. You can see the box that houses the fold motor on the right hand side.
You may be able to see this box by looking down the side of the glass, without removing anything from the car.
Standard mirrors will not have the fold motors, you will need to get hold of mirrors from an Exec.

stealthe