Coupè steering wheel on saloon

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Coupè steering wheel on saloon

Post by OdinEidolon »

Hi all, I have a 2001 saloon, quick questions about the steering wheel.
Will this steering wheel fit? It seems similar to what I have got.
(seems leather to me, is it right?)
I already have the aribag, will it fit on the new steering wheel too?
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Coupè steering wheel on saloon

Post by highlander »

No, this isn't going to work :(

The Coupe wheel is from an older D8 model (pre-1999)

Your saloon is a D9 (1999 onwards), and may well even be a COM2000-equipped D9 given 2001 was the year they introduced the COM2000 control stalks to the 406.

If your car is a non-COM2000 D9, the wheel may physically fit on - but the older D8 cars didn't have the horn on the airbag pad, they had the horn switch on the end of one of the stalks.

If your car is a COM2000-equipped D9, then the wheel will not physically fit on to the car as they are attached differently.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:No, this isn't going to work :(

The Coupe wheel is from an older D8 model (pre-1999)

Your saloon is a D9 (1999 onwards), and may well even be a COM2000-equipped D9 given 2001 was the year they introduced the COM2000 control stalks to the 406.

If your car is a non-COM2000 D9, the wheel may physically fit on - but the older D8 cars didn't have the horn on the airbag pad, they had the horn switch on the end of one of the stalks.

If your car is a COM2000-equipped D9, then the wheel will not physically fit on to the car as they are attached differently.
I do not have the COM2000, but effectively I did not think about the horn... well, guess I'll have to wait to substitute my really wear out wheel.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

You could join the Coupe Club forums (http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/) and send a PM to ade1122, who is their resident Coupe breaker.

Let him know that you're looking for a black leather steering wheel from a 2001 Coupe, and you want him to ship it to you in Italy, and ask him to give you a quote including postage.

If anyone's got a Coupe steering wheel, it'll be Ade.

Also, on the 406oc.co.uk forums, try sending a PM to Woody, who owns a business called French Connection Spares, specializing in French cars. He may not have a Coupe steering wheel, but might be able to supply you with a leather one from a saloon or estate.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:You could join the Coupe Club forums (http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/) and send a PM to ade1122, who is their resident Coupe breaker.

Let him know that you're looking for a black leather steering wheel from a 2001 Coupe, and you want him to ship it to you in Italy, and ask him to give you a quote including postage.

Also, on the 406oc.co.uk forums, try sending a PM to Woody, who owns a business called French Connection Spares, specializing in French cars. He may not have a Coupe steering wheel, but might be able to supply you with a leather one from a saloon or estate.
Thanks for the info.
I'm not looking for a coupè wheel, just any leather wheel fitting my saloon will do. How does a coupè wheel differ from a normal one? They look identical to me!

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

OdinEidolon wrote:
highlander wrote:You could join the Coupe Club forums (http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/) and send a PM to ade1122, who is their resident Coupe breaker.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not looking for a coupè wheel, just any leather wheel fitting my saloon will do. How does a coupè wheel differ from a normal one? They look identical to me!
Good question, i can't understand either the hype of the coupe steering wheel on a saloon or estate models ...they actually look similar to me too..
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

coupe wheel diameter is tad smaller
i have one on my saloon
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

plod wrote:coupe wheel diameter is tad smaller
i have one on my saloon
Is that a big change from the orig 406 or a little change ?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

It's a subtle change not massive, although means you can't read the markings on the arms so well, but let's face it, how many times do you look, it becomes instinct after a bit

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Here's a pic of mine

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i seen on the wiki some coupes get the cream leather on the steering wheel that matches the seats, can one of these fit the saloon.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The Coupe with the cream leather on the steering wheel (and the seats) is a rare special edition model, the Settant'Anni (which is Italian for 70th Anniversary, and is commemorative of 70 years of Pininfarina).

They are true Special Editions and are all numbered - the Pininfarina logo on the dashboard trim has a four-digit number on it. I think there were only 1,200 of them made, of which only 4 were RHD models, and only 1 of those had a manual gearbox.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is: Good luck finding a spare Settant'Anni steering wheel :cheesy:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i see, that makes the executive trim sound a bit common.
but that wheel just sounds as difficult to find as a working type c display.
what about a steering wheel with the wood effect is there any of them.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

None that I've ever seen.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

plod wrote:It's a subtle change not massive, although means you can't read the markings on the arms so well, but let's face it, how many times do you look, it becomes instinct after a bit
Well, from your picture, i can't really tell the difference, but not worth the money .. well only if the steering wheel is in the state as mine ( wich is very wear ) , but the coupe steering wheel is 100% plug and play ? Like a coupe from the same year as my estate ? Airbag ? Must be already on the coupe's steering wheel or i can just use my own airbag ?