Fitting Flat wiper Blades

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

Fitting Flat wiper Blades

Post by gumby6371 »

I'm thinking of changing my wipers to flat blades but also changing the arms so I can use the proper blades. Tried the flat blades for standard wiper arms and they're sh*t.

Does anyone know which cars to look out for at the breakers that I could transplant the wiper arms from?
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Fitting Flat wiper Blades

Post by Gary406 »

good old style Bosch ones are my fav's . tried all others and think there crap. i get mine from euro car parts...

i wanted to find some other wiper arms for mine but had no luck ...
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

I found japanparts ones to be the best on the 406. But I kept the standard wiper arms, I don't see why I should change them.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I had that idea some time ago but never found arms to fit perfectly, even went 'round a car park with a measuring tape :oops: . IIRC someone did manage it once here but they had to shorten the arms, might be worth a search? If you do find suitable arms please let us know :cheesy:

It the mean time I'm using cheap flat blades off ebay that attach to the standard arms. They need replacing every year, but they're less than a quarter of the price of the first flat ones I had (Valeo - £30), which certainly didn't last 4 years!! :roll:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:even went 'round a car park with a measuring tape
Mr Rees! :o

Newer cars have much bigger screens it seems and the wiper arms are very often much different lengths and many have a kinda dog-leg design with a tiny wiper on the passenger side.

I think you're unlikely to find a set of arms (as our car park scavenger found out) so you're probably stuck with the 'conversion' type with the fat adaptor thing :|
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

I still don't see any problem in using our wiper arm and newer wiper blades. I've been using cheap flat blades from Ebay for the last 6 months and have no problem whatsoever.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between normal and flat blades? I gather flat type are better in some way?
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

jonsowman wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between normal and flat blades? I gather flat type are better in some way?
They provide better adherence to the glass and have an integrated spoiler for increased pressure at higher speeds, so yes, they are somehow better.

DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

TBH I'm not convinced they perform any better than a good set of the old type blades, but saying that I've never seen them lift and they only judder when they're really knackered! They're certainly less visually intrusive than the old type blades too, and on a 406 they tuck nicely below the bonnet line, which is of course another reason to try to get the new-style arms :supafrisk:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

So will the flat blades (like those on eBay for example) fit onto the OEM 406 wiper arms?

I'm tempted to give these a go as the blades are going to need replacing soon anyway...
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The flat ones fit the curve of the screen better and are less prone to 'lift' at speed. Again I suppose the crazy curvy design of new cars has prompted a 'windscreen wiper solution' and so they're all flat now :|

I've just replaced the ones on my Volvo and I've had them 3 years so they may well have been even older - maybe they're longer lasting if good quality.

BTW - I bet some of you will be surprised that I've had the 'Eastbourne Express' TM for almost 3 years :o in fact I am holding a "this is my last monthly finance payment and I'm f*cking glad to see the back of them" party and I am soooo not doing that again anytime soon :frown:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

jonsowman wrote:So will the flat blades (like those on eBay for example) fit onto the OEM 406 wiper arms?

I'm tempted to give these a go as the blades are going to need replacing soon anyway...
Certainly will mate, here's the ones I've got on at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160614906104? ... 1423.l2649
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Thanks mate, will order some :)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:BTW - I bet some of you will be surprised that I've had the 'Eastbourne Express' TM for almost 3 years :o in fact I am holding a "this is my last monthly finance payment and I'm f*cking glad to see the back of them" party and I am soooo not doing that again anytime soon :frown:
3 years? OMG that's flown by, it's seems like just yesterday we started ripping the piss out of you for buying a pensioner wagon.... :lol: :wink:

Must be careful here, still haven't ruled out a Vulva for my next conveyance.... :oops:
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Congrats welly !! My god 3 years since you bought the OAP Ambulance , does it smell of sick
and stale piiss :twisted:
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron