Glove box rattle

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Glove box rattle

Post by ZilogJones »

My glove box has started rattling in the past few months. It doesn't seem related to what's in the glove box, as it happens when it's empty as well. It's most noticeable when the engine idling (diesel obviously :) ). When I push on the glove box door (while closed) it stops. Anyone have any solutions for this problem?

The driver's side door card has a similar problem, but I'm sure that'll be a lot more work sorting that out :|
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Glove box rattle

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, there are 2 small catches to hold the lid in place - quite hidden on the lip of the opening. These can be loosened and pushed back or forwards to keep lid more secure.
If it still rattles a bit - you can take the lid off by sliding out the 2 white pins that make the hinge, and check the small cog on the right of the opening - this is the soft-close mechanism.
Hope this helps,
Kelv.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Re: Glove box rattle

Post by ZilogJones »

I had actually put PVC tape around the two catches to see if it would dampen things, but it didn't seem to do much except make it harder to close the lid! I didn't realise they were adjustable - I'll check that out, thanks!
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)