Windscreen troubles

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sonia406
3.0 24v

Re: Windscreen troubles

Post by Sonia406 »

FarmerPug wrote:There are drain holes in the scuttle area, but if the car is parked under a tree frequently leaves can get in and clog it up, the plastic covers need to be taken off and you will be able to see if there is any leaves blocking the drain holes which are located below the bonnet hinges
Yep.... Mine had loads in there... and caked in dirt too... I don't think that cover has ever come off it's fair to say...
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Post by bangernom1cs »

If you have a sunroof the drains can overflow into the car when blocked.

T
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

bangernom1cs wrote:If you have a sunroof the drains can overflow into the car when blocked.

T

Thanks T, I don't have one... But I do know how to clear a blocked one thanks to FarmerPug ;) His youtube videos are amazing
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

First step when dealing with fogged-up windows is to clean them thoroughly on the inside! Dirt acts as a starting point for fogging.

I use a cheap product specifically made for car windows (it leaves no residue) from the local hardware store, and paper towels. In a pinch you can use denatured alcohol instead. Using white paper towels, you'd be amazed at the amount of dirt you can pull from the glass inside most cars.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

It is far from just a 406 problem, from the 32 cars i have had over the last 40 years probably half of them suffered to varying extents. None had any leaks, none had sun roofs, none had wet carpets or leaks from the heater etc. I have still not found a real answer. One thing i noticed over the years seems to be that modern cars with steeply sloping wind screens seem worse affected than the more up right screens in days of yore. Over the years i have heard many theories as to why this misting happens but while our cars are, or should be, water tight they are certainly not air tight so moisture laden air outside presumably also means moisture laden air inside and as this is only moving very slowly there is time for moisture to be deposited on the glass surface. One thing i have noticed is that in cold weather if you turn your heater off a few minutes before getting to your destination and open a window slightly it helps a little. Not cures, but helps.

A chip or crack in your screen is definitely not the problem and no moisture will get through it.
azazel
1.8 16v

Post by azazel »

I had water getting in through the vents in the boot of the car, causing water to puddle below the rear lights on the estate. Check that area to see if its wet. I siliconed the vents in and it is drying out but still to early to say if thats cured my misting problems. I also changed pollen filter.
azazel
1.8 16v

Post by azazel »

Any one else have a problem with humming windscreens? I had two windscreens replaced and they both hummed at about 70mph (like when you run a wet finger round a glass). If I touched the windscreen, near the rain sensor, the hum would stop. Eventually the noise stopped after a few months, I assume as the adhesive thickened and damped the resonance. Windscreens came from Autoglass.