What switch?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Nightshade
1.8 16v

What switch?

Post by Nightshade »

In my D8 estate, there's a row of switches on the dash above the heater controls - 4 in total.

Starting from the right, I've got hazards, Rear screen heater then a full size blank, then a slightly smaller blank. I presume these would be switches for extra goodies on higher spec models, and wondered if anyone can tell me what they'd actually be for?

Reason being, I want to replace one of the blanks with a switch (to be used as part of my stereo install) and it's proving really difficult to find such a switch. I was hoping my hunt would be easier if I knew what they were used to operate. I've already tried my local scrapyard, so am ebay hunting.

Thanks chaps!
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: What switch?

Post by steve_earwig »

Bored with looking through ebay now :frown: I think the first blank is the alarm button and the other one is just what it is, filler for a hole. Any wiring behind either? If I were you I'd get another hazard switch (maybe also the connector with some wire too), paint it black (I see a red door...) and put whatever design I wanted on it. "Ejector seat" maybe :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Nightshade
1.8 16v

Post by Nightshade »

hazard switch it is.

Fancy taking a picture of that upside down. pfff..

Cheers Steve
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

the first thin one in my D8 has a little red light,for alarm i belive
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

The alarm disable is by the driver's knee (next to headlamp level adjust). The far left indeed has a red LED for the immobiliser. The second to left, I have never seen filled.

For reference, this is the driver's knee panel:
From left to right - headlamp adjust (not shown), instrument panel brightness control, cruise enable/disable, blank, alarm disable.
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jonsowman wrote:The alarm disable is by the driver's knee (next to headlamp level adjust).
Not always. It can be by the driver's knee, next to the hazard switch, or by the handbrake and heated seat switches.

Some (very few!) 406s also rolled out of the factory with variable sports suspension, which can be next to the D8 hazard switch, or by the handbrake on D9s. They might even have put it by the driver's knee depending on whether Francois or Claude was on wiring duty in Socheaux that day... :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I wonder how long it took that to go wrong... (had it on the Senator, the trick was to remember what setting you had it on as there's nothing like throwing over a tonne and a half of car into a bend and realising you'd left it set on "soft" :shock:

Anyway, I doubt François or Claude had much to do with it as wiring is outsourced, so it's more like Kim or Lee :supafrisk:

Btw the loom on my Mk2 BX 16 Valve had a label on it saying it was made in some place called Yugoslavia...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.