How to swap from single seat to split rear seat...

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sonia406
3.0 24v

How to swap from single seat to split rear seat...

Post by Sonia406 »

Righto.
I found out that taking the old seats out, was easy.
The real challenge is in putting the new seats in, getting the pathetic little bolts over the thread and to bolt down the seats.. Especially when one has a broken finger :lol:

Right, questions boys, questions.

Any idea what size the bolt is that fits in the black brackets on the bottom of the seat part?
I need at least two more of these (for the middle brackets)

This whole contrast / Mono chrome idea is going to look amazing when finished, just check out the floor mats to the new seats... I love it

It's fair to say, at the moment Miss Pug is filthy, inside at least

Dont even get me started on the air vents :oops:

Let's just say I have far worse things to worry about at the moment :evil:

While the schools still off I had a little bit of help; though to be honest, hindrance sounds a bit more accurate...

Now my questions to you boys:~

I see the new seats will need the end seat brackets (near the seat belt) in the middle doing too.. Am I right in thinking, again I already have these (it's like through a gap in the middle)
Are there any additional fixings I need (besides at least 2 more of these bolts)?

At the moment the bottoms are secure, with a bolt in the bracket and the seat belt anchors are down, bolted on (OH MY WORD, HOW TIGHT?!) but for some reason they will not tip forward, not sure why or what I have done wrong :oops:

Any ideas?

Cheers
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Re: How to swap from single seat to split rear seat...

Post by waue1978 »

Not overly sure what you've done wrong as my seat swap was pretty straightforward. Just a bit of a bitch trying to hold everything in place while doing bolts up at the same time.

Only thing that I can think of that you may have done is to have the brackets at the very front opened out instead of folded. Does the front of the rear seat base seem a little higher than it used to be?
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

waue1978 wrote:Not overly sure what you've done wrong as my seat swap was pretty straightforward. Just a bit of a bitch trying to hold everything in place while doing bolts up at the same time.

Only thing that I can think of that you may have done is to have the brackets at the very front opened out instead of folded. Does the front of the rear seat base seem a little higher than it used to be?
TO look at they look OK.. that bracket is folded inwards so its doubled up already...
Just won't lift up... :oops:
Maybe it's because I don't have all the bolts done as yet... who knows...... just seems stuck..
I am always having problems with her, stubborn moo :evil:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Sonia406 wrote:Any idea what size the bolt is that fits in the black brackets on the bottom of the seat part?
I need at least two more of these (for the middle brackets)
Err, that's a nut :shock:

They say a picture paints a thousand thingummies
It even has the sizes there. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you what they mean (not me obviously :oops: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

Oh yeah :oops: I don't do your technical talk boys... I call everything either a bolt or nut :oops:

Thanks for the diagram, Never been able to de-code their codes either :lol:
Sonia406
3.0 24v

STUBBORN EFFIN TART.

Post by Sonia406 »

THAT IS IT.

I give up. :evil:

I am going to have a moan now.
There are two brackets between the seats at the rear (for the backrest) and you have to fit them over a little lug each. One side done, perfect. Other side, well...... don't even go there....... :shock: :evil:
I did it, but then stupidly let go and it popped back off... Do you think I can get it back over the lug for love nor money?

At the moment the other side is held down by an over-sized bolt, deciding whether to take it out and use my bolt cutters to trim it down or just go and buy some decent sized ones...

I also worked out that the bottoms of the seats are getting stuck on the lower brackets...

Can I just check, that the bracket tucks away under itself (like doubles up) and you put the bolt that sticks out the car through the hole in the bracket? :oops: I am pretty sure that's how it should be, but with it like that the bottom of the seats appear stuck and won't lift up....... :evil:

At the moment I have really hurt my back and finger trying to do it, took off the finger support for better grip and motability... hasn't helped matters... So - That's it for today, going to have a rest... then have another go tomorrow, if I can't do it tomorrow I shall take it to the boyfriend and put on a really sad, bewildered face and go 'you need to help me!' :lol:

It will look amazing when finished, I am so close!
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Lining up the backrest is definitely one of those jobs where you need 4 hands as you need to hold it in place while fitting the bolt in, but don't remember it being that much of a nightmare. You are locating the brackets on the lugs before doing the bolts nearest the door aren't you?

As far as the base goes, the brackets do fold over, but I have a feeling that I bolted them in place while the seat was folded forward & then folded it back down afterwards.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

waue1978 wrote:Lining up the backrest is definitely one of those jobs where you need 4 hands as you need to hold it in place while fitting the bolt in, but don't remember it being that much of a nightmare. You are locating the brackets on the lugs before doing the bolts nearest the door aren't you?
Umm... No :oops: Was I supposed to locate them over the lugs before the outer bolts? :oops:
Definitely need 4 hands.........

waue1978 wrote: As far as the base goes, the brackets do fold over, but I have a feeling that I bolted them in place while the seat was folded forward & then folded it back down afterwards.
Sooo... what you're saying is, put the nut on it while it's flat out then tuck it up under afterwards? Hmmm, shall try that tomorrow - thanks!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

10 out of 10 so far. Stick with it honey, that leather looks great and will be ace when fitted.

I am a little envious though, I better go and clean my interior to make myself feel better.. :cheesy:

When I removed my rear seat bases, I just tilted them forwards and undid the 4 bolts and took the bracket off with it. This was to replace the rusty metal under the seat that was scratching the top of the leather seat back when folding the seats down.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

GingerMagic wrote:10 out of 10 so far. Stick with it honey, that leather looks great and will be ace when fitted.

I am a little envious though, I better go and clean my interior to make myself feel better.. :cheesy:

When I removed my rear seat bases, I just tilted them forwards and undid the 4 bolts and took the bracket off with it. This was to replace the rusty metal under the seat that was scratching the top of the leather seat back when folding the seats down.

Ahh thanks GM! :mrgreen:
It's nice to have a compliment once in a while :D
Why are you envious? I am certain you have cream leather too? Mine is filthy and needs a damn good clean down when it's all done...
The mono-chrome look car will be amazing....... I am quite excited about finishing it...
I really am pissed off I broke my finger though as it is making it 10 x harder than it need be...

Maybe I need to admit defeat and take off the outer bracket again... :oops: