1997 D8 what tool to use remove interior skurt

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

fudge333
1.6 8v

1997 D8 what tool to use remove interior skurt

Post by fudge333 »

Hi, this is probably very simple but as I am blind I am having trouble figuring this out. I am running RCA/speaker/Power cables under the trim between carpet and door seals. Not sure what it is called, it's the rounded moulded plastic. It is a tight fit so I am trying to unscrew it a bit but am unsure if it is a alan head or a screw driver is needed etc. As I said it's a nob question and one of those which can be easily identified if you can see it. Thanks for help.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: 1997 D8 what tool to use remove interior skurt

Post by FarmerPug »

The inner sill trim is what i call that part, there are a few torx bits i think tx25, this here might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOxK1OE68A
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

HI, there is a torx screw near the front of the front door trim, one in the middle of the trim between the front and back door ( below the seatbelt ) and there is also one near the back of the rear door trim.
I think they are clipped in place as well as screwed in so it may be easier to remove the bottom part of the door seal and go from above the trim and push the cable down the gap. The door seals are really hard to get back on even if you can see what you are doing so only remove as much as you need, no more than an inch or two up from the bottom.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
fudge333
1.6 8v

Post by fudge333 »

Thanks so much, I also had someone look and got the right tool, one of those 6 pointed star screw drivers. Sorry didn't reply earlier, had not subscribed to the topic, thought it happened automagically. Now how do the rear speakers come out so I can run the new cable and where on earth can I get a 4gage power lead through the firewall :D
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Pop the speaker grille out, and then under the rear parcel shelf in the boot you will see two plastic nuts that hold the speaker in place, undo these. The speaker will then lift out of the way and can be unplugged
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If you have an estate, you will need to gently remove just enough of the boot seal, maybe around 12" or so, on each side near the top. Once this is free you can prise off the whole 'C' pillar cover to get to the speaker, which have a small six-pointy torx screw above and below it. The C pillar plastic has no screws, just pull it from the side then toward the tailgate.
I'm not sure about the thick lead through the bulkhead, its not something I have done but there will be some info somewhere on the forum.
Good luck.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
fudge333
1.6 8v

Post by fudge333 »

Thank you so much guys, I was trying the nut undernearth the parcel shelf but couldn't budge it, was only one there between the back seat and the speaker so the inner of the speaker that would make it. Will take another look. Not sure if this is an estate, it is very comfortable though and quite a change from 504s I have owned in the past. All I know is it must be an Australian model as I live south in Tasmania. it is a 1997 406 petrol 2ltr with cloth trim. I will keep looking round through the forum for the firewall info, I thought I read that near the fuse box is a good place but feeling in the engine bay I can not find where it goes through. I did download your youtube video Farmer Pug and think it is pretty awesome so can show someone when I am getting help. cheers