How do you clean your leather interior?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: How do you clean your leather interior?

Post by Welly »

I didn't know about this 'fake' top coat but it makes sense now. I've been 'feeding' my seats with Gliptone conditioner but it does nothing reading this?

I have got a proper leather brush but what's the best all round APC product? (All Purpose Cleaner).

So we're saying 'clean' but do not apply conditioners?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

The best APC at the moment is without doubt Autosmart G101, diluted at 1:20 for leather cleaning. Use a dedicated leather cleaner first to remove any dirt, using APC only for sections that are heavily soiled. I personally use ValetPRO brushes on leather as they are very gently but allow you to work up a lather which is very effective for removing ingrained dirt. On automotive leather, there is no "feeding" as such, the term conditioner really is very misleading - it wont make it any more supple, the only thing it can do is provide UV protection to prevent the leather from being sun damaged.
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Cheers for the advice, how about carpet cleaning? you know the awkward to reach bits like next to the clutch pedal and the bits where rear passengers get in/out (the bits you can't get with a machine).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

A machine? You clean your carpets with some sort of machine? :shock:

I think most of us will use a vacuum cleaner...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

Welly wrote:Cheers for the advice, how about carpet cleaning? you know the awkward to reach bits like next to the clutch pedal and the bits where rear passengers get in/out (the bits you can't get with a machine).
Being a bit OCD with my cleaning, whenever I get a new car I unbolt all the seats and do a thorough wet vac to remove all dirt from the carpet, then once all back together I use a fine crevice tool attachment for my hoover. Keeps my carpets looking jet black and brand new.
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

fattail95 wrote:The best APC at the moment is without doubt Autosmart G101, diluted at 1:20 for leather cleaning. Use a dedicated leather cleaner first to remove any dirt, using APC only for sections that are heavily soiled. I personally use ValetPRO brushes on leather as they are very gently but allow you to work up a lather which is very effective for removing ingrained dirt. On automotive leather, there is no "feeding" as such, the term conditioner really is very misleading - it wont make it any more supple, the only thing it can do is provide UV protection to prevent the leather from being sun damaged.
Thanks Benjamin, I will get a litre of that APC from t'bay - but those brushes are a bit on the steep side for me, can I use a normal leather shoe brush...??

I do have some detailing brushes for the hard to reach places so I may use that instead.
fattail95 wrote:crevice
:shock:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321114285388? ... 26_rdc%3D1

That's the brush I use, £3.29 delivered :) a leather shoe brush I'd advise against, all G101 needs is gentle agitation into a lather (the lather is key) which will lift the dirt free from the surface.