How about this for a deal ...

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

How about this for a deal ...

Post by PeterN »

I bought another 406 estate recently as you know and have been looking for an electric drivers seat, the passenger seat is electric but someone has changed the drivers seat to a manual one which doesn't have nearly as much adjustment as the electric one.

I have been looking everywhere for and electric one with very little success, even the confederation of breakers who normally bombard you with emails apparently haven't got any. There was a firm in Dorset advertising a pair of front leather ones which they had been advertising for about 18 months, last week I found another breaker with the rear seats and door cards, so I phoned the firm with the front ones and they had sold them that weekend. :x

However there was someone in east London advertising a complete set of cloth ones, looked very nice in the picture, so I went up there yesterday having stayed overnight with a friend in Sevenoaks. Apart from the diabolical journey it worked out very well, this chap is in Willesden and works out of a couple of lock up garages, he was in the process of removing the seats from the other car.

He asked me if I wanted the old rear seats and as they wont take them at the recycling centre I said he could have them, he took them out and fitted the replacements. He then asked me if I wanted the old door cards same answer so he removed them and fitted the replacement ones. I then asked him about a glove box as the lock is broken on mine which he duly supplied and fitted - total bill £50.00. :shock:

I now only have to fit the front seats and job done. 8)

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: How about this for a deal ...

Post by GingerMagic »

Very good fortune indeed.....
The front seats are easy, you will need your ignition to have been off for at least 5 mins before unplugging the air bag connectors under the seats.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

He had to cut the airbag warning leads, someone had obviously had problems with the light coming on, asked me if I could manage with that, I said just about, I was a TV engineer for 50 years. :wink: Do you know if the heated seat leads are present or do you only get those in the Executive?

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The leads are there in your GLX ( big brown connector ) but the power supply isn't. If you find the 2 heated seat switches that fit into the centre bit by the hand brake and wire them in then they will work. Only the leather seats are heated.
I must confess I haven't done mine yet, but apparently I could spur off the red lead on the lighter, to the orange wires on the switches.??
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I originally wanted leather seats but there don't seem to be any decent ones at the moment, I do like my warmth. The ones I have bought are very nice though, they are a creamy/beige colour, quite lightens up the inside of the car although not very practical if carrying grand children. :frown:

Peter
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Very good deal although I'm not surprised as you seem a decent sort of chap so he must have been happy to help, it's rare for buyers/sellers to meet and actually get along so well; like when I met Bailes from here recently it was all very easy and pleasant which is how it should be.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Thanks you for your kind words, I try to get on with everybody, there are enough problems in this world without creating your own. I was very pleasantly surprised at his service, he is a foreign gentleman, possibly eastern European but he certainly has a good work ethic, he had quite a few other 406 bits on his 'other items' section, some cheap some not but a useful source of supply if you are in the area, from my point of view it was worth the hassle of the trip for what I got, I now have a fully functioning nice car, it even has new keys and the remote locking and the aircon work - and I forgot to mention, 11 months MOT and half a tank of diesel. 8)

Peter
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

I threw my mint black ones away as I couldn't sell the set a t 50 pounds including door cards as well which were the rare leather ones.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Thank you very much - I've got friends in Derbyshire. :wink:

Peter
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

PeterN wrote:Thank you very much - I've got friends in Derbyshire. :wink:

Peter
advertised it on here as well as ebay not a sniff!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I probably wasn't looking for them then. :(

Peter
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

GingerMagic wrote:Very good fortune indeed.....
The front seats are easy, you will need your ignition to have been off for at least 5 mins before unplugging the air bag connectors under the seats.
Cheers, that's saved me making a new thread - wasn't sure if it required battery disconnecting. Some decidedly tired seats to replace at the weekend and the thought of getting knocked out by an airbag was kinda niggling :)