Illuminated Sun Visor and Gear Stick

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

cwhaley
1.8 8v

Illuminated Sun Visor and Gear Stick

Post by cwhaley »

These must have been covered already but I can’t find them on the forum :(

I have attained 2 x illuminated sun visors to replace the standard ones in my 2001 Rapier (90 HDi Estate). They come with a wire and plug which obviously goes into a loom/socket. Trouble is I can’t find this anywhere — not behind the A pillar nor behind the front courtesy light. I presume it’s fitted to all cars the only difference being the ‘better’ models had the accessory fitted rather than just the wiring. I can manually splice it into existing wire but would rather know if it can be plugged in!

Also, the previous owner of my car (only two of them!) had wrapped black electrical tape around the gear knob. I unwrapped it out of curiosity and because it was a mess and discovered that the knob was cracked (no Kenneth Williams quotes...) Will but a new one but in the meantime, it won’t fit back on properly and is loose. It appears to slide onto a plastic sleeve which is also cracked. I could ramble on but does anybody know how these work? If you want pictures I’ll get some uploaded.

Thank you! In the meantime, Pug has covered 6k since January and is going great. Had to replace the rear anti roll bar links which were knocking but all is good. Full service when the weather is better.
ruwds
1.8 8v

Re: Illuminated Sun Visor and Gear Stick

Post by ruwds »

I've seen these two sockets on mine (03' 'S') which I guess is for the sun visors. I believe you have already looked here in the middle light space.
file.JPG
(74.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2003 406 2.0 HDi 90 S (2016-2023)
• Connects2 USB/SD/Aux • Cruise Control
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

cwhaley wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:23 pm These must have been covered already but I can’t find them on the forum :(

I have attained 2 x illuminated sun visors to replace the standard ones in my 2001 Rapier (90 HDi Estate). They come with a wire and plug which obviously goes into a loom/socket. Trouble is I can’t find this anywhere — not behind the A pillar nor behind the front courtesy light. I presume it’s fitted to all cars the only difference being the ‘better’ models had the accessory fitted rather than just the wiring. I can manually splice it into existing wire but would rather know if it can be plugged in!

Also, the previous owner of my car (only two of them!) had wrapped black electrical tape around the gear knob. I unwrapped it out of curiosity and because it was a mess and discovered that the knob was cracked (no Kenneth Williams quotes...) Will but a new one but in the meantime, it won’t fit back on properly and is loose. It appears to slide onto a plastic sleeve which is also cracked. I could ramble on but does anybody know how these work? If you want pictures I’ll get some uploaded.

The white plastic sleeve needs to be in good ( not cracked) condition to work properly
These are dealers only, the gearknob can be bought off ebay ( a copy one) there not bad & just push on & lock
in place on the white plastic sleeve.

I have one which you can buy if you have no luck, £10 posted
Just be aware there are two types : pull across & down (behind 5th) & pull up a collar & push left & up (past 1st gear)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:37 pm The white plastic sleeve needs to be in good ( not cracked) condition to work properly
These are dealers only, the gearknob can be bought off ebay ( a copy one) there not bad & just push on & lock
in place on the white plastic sleeve.

I have one which you can buy if you have no luck, £10 posted
Just be aware there are two types : pull across & down (behind 5th) & pull up a collar & push left & up (past 1st gear)
Hi mate sorry for the late reply -- I don't get notifications of replies and this summer had been a bit hectic what with Covid...

I couldn't find a decent gear knob. Do you still have your's at £10? Mine is the "pull across and down for reverse" type, meaning reverse gear is underneath fifth gear.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Give me a few day's to dig it out & check it's the right one for you
But yes I still have it.
It's not a genuine one, it is a eBay special but it's good for a tenner.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: