Door mat

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

NinoB
2.2 16v

Door mat

Post by NinoB »

Hi.. My door mat is peeling off around the handle.. I tried several gum and adhesive but it did not work.. Someone told me that it will not hold back because it was a SKIN.. But i don't believe it.. I believe there is an adhesive that will hold it back and seal it.. Please can anyone suggest a good adhesive for SKIN that can be applied on door mat or any trick that i can fix it?
Attachments
IMG_20200802_111652.jpg
(1.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Wul
1.8 8v

Re: Door mat

Post by Wul »

I have seen few 406s with the same peeling problem and usually all of them are missing a piece of plastic around the handle. I think if you can restore those piece, it would not peel again. Here's the piece I'm talking about, pointed with screwdriver (I found this image on Google):
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

I got ur point.. But i ve the plastic cover but iy does not stay because the skin leather has peeled from inside q.. So i thought i will have a good adhesive that will mend it together the after that i eill restore the plastic back..
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

Can anyone recommend me where to buy a used door mats? Even from breaking yard.. Want to buy the 4 pieces.
Color = biege leather

Thanks
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

That problem affects all of the car's (406's) now due to there age & heat.

Facebook groups are the best place for door cards (what there known as in the uk)

Any upholstery contact adhesive will work, the stronger the better.

I did mine in my estate with some No Nonsense spray adhesive from Screwfix (uk)

But with your leather you might need something stronger, even twopack epoxy resin will work well in your case
as it's only just starting around the handle edge.

Just mix it up smear it around the back of the leather & press it back firmly to the door card.
Then finally re-fit your plastic surround, making sure it clips (snaps) back into place.
Leave well alone for an hour & job done :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:18 pm That problem affects all of the car's (406's) now due to there age & heat.

Facebook groups are the best place for door cards (what there known as in the uk)

Any upholstery contact adhesive will work, the stronger the better.

I did mine in my estate with some No Nonsense spray adhesive from Screwfix (uk)

But with your leather you might need something stronger, even twopack epoxy resin will work well in your case
as it's only just starting around the handle edge.

Just mix it up smear it around the back of the leather & press it back firmly to the door card.
Then finally re-fit your plastic surround, making sure it clips (snaps) back into place.
Leave well alone for an hour & job done :cheesy:
I tried upholstery gum and it didn't work out.. It still peel off.. So i tried glue.. It still failed.. So you think epoxy resin will do the magic..? Want to rub it on thr entire leather back..
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Looking at your picture I would spread it liberally around the door card (were the leather has lifted)
Then press it firmly down all the way round & re-fit the bezel.

Unless you fancy taking the door card off to do it ?
Then I would do it the same but support the card from under the handle aperture, fit the trim & put a heavy weight
on top of the trim & leave it over night.

It worked for my lifting dash tirm on my Coupes (a common problem due to heat)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: