Door card material fraying

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

thomashb
1.6 8v

Door card material fraying

Post by thomashb »

The door card material around the door handles is constantly coming out and has ballooned out in the spot where the contour is for your arm to rest in. I presume this is common as my grandmother's 406 has the same problem. My temporary fix (as in, once a fortnight or if I get annoyed enough) is to remove the plastic door handle surrounds, press the fabric back into place and then reattach the plastic, which just clips on and off. However after a few openings and closings of the door it comes out again, on all four doors.

What does everyone suggest? I would just stick the nozzle of some spray adhesive behind the fabric and go nuts, stick it down and hope it stays, but there is some orange (insulation?) foam which is between the fabric and the door card itself which I can only assume will fragment further over time and render the adhesive useless.

How common is this problem on UK 406s? My grandmother lives in northern Australia and I'm in Sydney, so could it be the heat and/or humidity that makes the difference between the two scenarios (mine, and the UK) and which causes the factory adhesive to fail? Most of the photos of 406s in the UK that I've seen don't seem to have the same troubles.
JIMBOB326
1.8 8v

Re: Door card material fraying

Post by JIMBOB326 »

One of my rear door cards is exactly the same, i have tried spraying adhesive through the gap when i removed the door handle but the material will not stretch enough and stick anymore. I have a beige interior and am looking for a second hand door card or even an upholsterers that can re-do it all for me.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

i have that in all of my 4 door cards .. really annoying and ugly to see.. I wounder if the door cards of the saloon fit the Estate ...i think i saw somewhere they do..

My friend's 406 have he's door cards with the same tissue that is used in the seats and different needlework but mine doesn't even had wood strips on doors cards .. is this the normal material for a Level 2 406 ?

Anyone confirm ? Maybe i'll try to see if i find something in scrapyard.
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

RayneR wrote:i have that in all of my 4 door cards .. really annoying and ugly to see.. I wounder if the door cards of the saloon fit the Estate ...i think i saw somewhere they do..

My friend's 406 have he's door cards with the same tissue that is used in the seats and different needlework but mine doesn't even had wood strips on doors cards .. is this the normal material for a Level 2 406 ?

Saloon & estate door cards are identical. Not sure about continental spec, but over here the first D9 L, LX & GLX had no wood trims until mid 2000 (just after the LX gained electric rear windows). In all honesty though, I never experienced this damaged material in any of the 406s I've seen. Worst door card wear I've ever seen is where the material on the drivers side armrest part gets a little bit thin looking.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Mine also,front right panel is in worse case of all,the drivers side is a bit better.
All 4 door panel fabric is like it has a belly,not holding to the doors.
I tried once to lift that plastic frame and put the fabric under but it just wont work.

I have left it as it is cuz im planing someday to put it into leather maybe,custom made or from D9 model if it fits.
Every 406 i see here has that problem so dont worry,is quite common problem.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

waue1978 wrote:
RayneR wrote:i have that in all of my 4 door cards .. really annoying and ugly to see.. I wounder if the door cards of the saloon fit the Estate ...i think i saw somewhere they do..

Saloon & estate door cards are identical. Not sure about continental spec, but over here the first D9 L, LX & GLX had no wood trims until mid 2000 (just after the LX gained electric rear windows). In all honesty though, I never experienced this damaged material in any of the 406s I've seen. Worst door card wear I've ever seen is where the material on the drivers side armrest part gets a little bit thin looking.
That explain why mine doesn't have wood trim on door cards, mine is from may 2000 and my friend's is august and have wood trim on doors.

i'll try to take picture of one of the cards so you can take a look at it.

thanks

edit:
here they are:
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol: