What do you make of this? Dashcam / main stealer test drive

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: What do you make of this? Dashcam / main stealer test dr

Post by DaiRees »

I've been contacted by the garage and asked to take the footage down. I have no problem with that, the last thing I want to do is cause trouble for the garage or any of the guys working there, so I've made it "Private" and you should't be able to see it anymore, please let me know if you can!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Content Warning

If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in.
So that's it? No apology, no "well, the mechanic was exceeding the speed limit a tad", just "take it down"? :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Thanks Steve.

No he was very friendly, more of a "I'd be very grateful if you'd take it down". Didn't comment too much on the speeding, when I pointed out he was going over 40 in a 30 he claimed he hadn't seen the whole video and hadn't realised that the driver was going that fast. He did say that the mechanics in the workshop (right at the start) had objected to being filmed without their knowledge. Then we had a long chat about dashcams and forums generally, so all very amicable really. Apparently another Volvo dealer that uses the forum had emailed him the link, so he hadn't seen the thread at all.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

benczuk wrote:
Welly wrote:Dai also posted this on the Volvo Forum.......most were outraged and are penning letters to their MP's as we speak :cheesy:]
DaiRees wrote:So they must've accessed it via a forum and I'm guessing it wasn't this one....

linky? or is it behind a registration?
Dunno, try this: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=223231
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Under the Data Protection act if you suspect that you have been filmed/CCTV'd in a public place, shop or workplace you are entitled to ask for a copy of the footage, which must be provided. You'd better get stocked up on memory sticks :cheesy:

I know FRF Swansea use the forum, that's where I buy all my parts from funnily enough and they post them out. They are very good to deal with actually.

Isn't it strange how people 'object to being filmed' in the workplace? as if they'd behave differently if they knew.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:I know FRF Swansea use the forum, that's where I buy all my parts from funnily enough and they post them out. They are very good to deal with actually.
I asked if it was FRF 'cos I know they use the forum, he said it wasn't... :?

I think I'll get one for the wife's car after yesterday... :(
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I think you'll need one with a motion detector in it.

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly

Post by Welly »

What's the chances of these Dashcam's being targeted by tea leafs? I mean ShatNav's get lifted if they're on view and a decent dashcam is worth 20 sheets to any discerning crack addict surely?

How are they powered up? do you run a cable all over the place and into the fag lighter?

And what's it mean when they say the cam has a 'car plate stamp'.

And can you tell I'm thinking of getting one :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:What's the chances of these Dashcam's being targeted by tea leafs?
Small is good, otherwise you'll have to keep removing it. Tea leaves will break in for anything tho...
Welly wrote:How are they powered up? do you run a cable all over the place and into the fag lighter?
They switch on when the ignition turns the feed to them on. Fag lighter or some can be hard wired. The front one in the yoyo is plugged in the fag lighter, goes through a switch hole (which I've probably lost the cover for), is threaded through the spaghetti under the dash/over the pedals, up the side behind the door rubber, up the a-post under the trim, then it's pushed in over the front of the roof lining and finally exits by the rear view mirror. Hard wire would probably be nicer, if there's a switched live in the o/h console but meh.
Welly wrote: And what's it mean when they say the cam has a 'car plate stamp'.
The stuff in the corner of the picture (date, time, speed etc.) can also display your reg number.
Welly wrote:And can you tell I'm thinking of getting one :cheesy:
No, really? :supafrisk:

jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

I've wired mine into the power for the climate control sampling fan in the overhead console. Comes on/off with ignition and has enough capacity in the cabling/fuse for the 500mA or so required by the cam.
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Welly

Post by Welly »

See that programme last night? "Crash Britain"? or something, they were basically saying that with the increasing number of cars on the road that a Camera is becoming essential.

Something that occurred to me, I wonder if we'll see a rise in 'vigilante' type videos on yourtubes? "look at this driving" etc... probably already happening. I wonder if anyone could be fined/bollocked just on private video evidence alone?

Also with sophisticated editing software would it be possible to doctor a video to your advantage when submitting it as evidence to the insurers?
Cars in my care:
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Welly wrote:See that programme last night? "Crash Britain"? or something, they were basically saying that with the increasing number of cars on the road that a Camera is becoming essential.
I think if i did more miles I would certainly be getting one.
Welly wrote:Something that occurred to me, I wonder if we'll see a rise in 'vigilante' type videos on yourtubes? "look at this driving" etc... probably already happening. I wonder if anyone could be fined/bollocked just on private video evidence alone?
Apparently so

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -hour.html
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly

Post by Welly »

Blimey!
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:Something that occurred to me, I wonder if we'll see a rise in 'vigilante' type videos on yourtubes? "look at this driving" etc... probably already happening. I wonder if anyone could be fined/bollocked just on private video evidence alone?
Already groups and pages dedicated to that on the social networks, I follow several of them, may even have contributed myself :supafrisk:

I've got a few vids stored up that I'd like to share with the world but I still haven't managed to sort out an editor. Also it amazes me how many people get their own opinions confused with fact :frown:, every single video on facebook is accompanied by lengthy and often agressive arguments about who's to blame, why the camera car drivers a cnut, why the other driver's a cnut etc... can't be arsed getting involved in all that shyte.

In most of my incidents of interest I could easily have avoided the incident all together by adapting my driving, the truth of the matter is that 99% of the time I do, but you always get the odd one who pushes the right buttons (I'll post up the video of last week's queue jumper once I can edit it). So to have a bunch of self riteous knob heads saying "you're the sh*t driver, you should have just backed off and let him in" would really get on my tits.

Like I said, I'll post a couple on here at some point, but it's just for a laugh, right!? :wink: