D9 cruise retrofit & and wtf's this for?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

D9 cruise retrofit & and wtf's this for?

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there, I'm currently in talks with Stealthe re. some nice bits and bobs for my motor. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to fit cruise as I don't have any wiring for the second brake pedal switch :( I didn't think I actually needed it but it's listed on Service Box for my car. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Also, while I was under there with a torch (and a right pain in the neck that was after yesterday :( ) I found these two connectors under the BSI:

WTF's this for?
and why's that wire broken off it? It's not the fabled EOBD connector is it? I was expecting something completely different.

Incidental, that's the first time I've seen a BSI - how can something so small be such a big pain in the butt? :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: D9 cruise retrofit & and wtf's this for?

Post by FarmerPug »

its a good job cruise control, i love it, when its going so if you find out how i can get the second switch out for a look well good on ye.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:Hi there, I'm currently in talks with Stealthe re. some nice bits and bobs for my motor. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to fit cruise as I don't have any wiring for the second brake pedal switch :( I didn't think I actually needed it but it's listed on Service Box for my car. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Just short the wires and remember to deactivate cruise before braking :lol:
Also, while I was under there with a torch (and a right pain in the neck that was after yesterday :( ) I found these two connectors under the BSI:

WTF's this for?
Get back under, read a few wire numbers (you can see what looks like '428' on the purple wire, that might even be enough) and hunt for them in the wiring diagrams in the BoL :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I assume you know where the OBD port is? and this may be the back of it? if not it looks like a relay holder thing to me :?

R
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welly wrote:I assume you know where the OBD port is? and this may be the back of it?
Nah, I'm fairly sure the OBD socket has more wires, and doesn't have an intermediate connector between it and the body harness
if not it looks like a relay holder thing to me :?
oooh good thinking! Gets my vote, especially if it's attached to the BSI

I'd also register the guess that the stray wire was one stolen for use with a car kit.... bloody things...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

if peugeot uses a bsi to control all of the important functions, then what does other cars use for such functons.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

All cars have BSi's now even her indoors Poxhall Ashtray has one (albeit very cheap at £70 notes :? ).

The Volvo has something similar but more complex in that it won't bother you with messages whilst driving with more that a certain throttle and more than a certain steering angle :| it likes to tell you that you've opened one of the rear doors (yes I know I did) and that whoever did it hasn't put a seat belt on :shock: (yes, I know that too, it was me, and I'm sitting up front)........all very complicated and a disaster waiting in the wings :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Is it actually volvo electrics or ford electrics
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

These days everyone (apart from some wayward and individual manufacturers like Lada) has their own version of BSI. The Laguna ones are famous for getting a tad damp and a parked car can end up sounding its alarm, blowing its horn, wiping its screen and cranking the engine. I just hope their handbrakes work better than a 406...

It's the wrong shape for a normal relay.
mjb wrote:Just short the wires and remember to deactivate cruise before braking :lol:
Would that I could, the problem is I can't find any wires.

Search for wires on the highly accurate and totally useful diagrams in the Haynes Book of Lies that doesn't even cover my year of manufacturer? You sir, are insane :frown:

TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

steve_earwig wrote: The Laguna ones are famous for getting a tad damp and a parked car can end up sounding its alarm, blowing its horn, wiping its screen and cranking the engine. I just hope their handbrakes work better than a 406...
Same happens with the Megane. The BSI thingy lives under the battery so when the access cover for changing the headlight bulbs in the wheel arch drops off (which it will) water flies in off the wheel all over it. Then you are in a world of poo.
2006 207 GT THP 150
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

What a clever bit of design :shock: I suppose D9 owners should be grateful that Pug choose to site the BSI inside the passenger compartment, rather than on a piece of string dragging along behind the car...

stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

The 'wtf' holds a couple of relays, on the loom from an exec. Yours is only wired on one side?

stealthe
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

steve your giving peugeot ideas here for the 508,
why does a bsi cost £900, you could probably get a netbook with some wiring connectors to control a peugoet 406 through usb the file storing all the functions cant be more than 10gb so the cars functions could be kept on a usb pen.
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

steve_earwig wrote:Hi there, I'm currently in talks with Stealthe re. some nice bits and bobs for my motor. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to fit cruise as I don't have any wiring for the second brake pedal switch :( I didn't think I actually needed it but it's listed on Service Box for my car. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
If you have the wiring for the clutch pedal just wire the two switches in parallel, the switches are 'open' with no pressure on the pedal and 'close' when the pedal is pushed. The bsi/ecu shouldn't be able to tell that a switch isn't there, and pushing either pedal has the same effect, cutting the cruise.

stealthe

(Of course, I know someone who's got bsi, ecu, dials, keys etc for sale! :lol: )
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

stealthe wrote: If you have the wiring for the clutch pedal just wire the two switches in parallel, the switches are 'open' with no pressure on the pedal and 'close' when the pedal is pushed.
You sure about that? If you pull the brake light switch out with the ignition on, you'll see the brake lights illuminate...