replacing alternator brushes

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

millard
1.8 16v

Re: replacing alternator brushes

Post by millard »

Thanks Teamster, much appreciated. :D
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I spoke to my mate who does alternator and starter reconditioning, he tells me that it's impossible to bench test an alternator....his words, not mine...he has a special jig for the purpose which is a large transformer type thing with a fan belt arrangement, the alternator is clamped in the jig, the fan belt hooked up and the machine is started up, the amps read off on a gauge on the machine.

All credit to yourself if you manage to do the test.
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

Thanks Jasper, hmmm!!!
Can you not replicate the wiring conditions on the bench and turn it over with a drill?
I'm certainly no expert on this at all, but If it's a question of hooking it up the same way as in the engine bay and turning it over at a reasonable speed surely you could get the same readings on the voltmeter as on when it's on the car?
I realise your mate is talking about amps as opposed to volts, but all I need (I think?) is to see what volts it's capable of chucking back at the battery ?????
Millard
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

This thread has got me thinking.... Is it possible to convert an 80amp/90amp alternator to 120amp when getting it refurbished? Or would it just be cheaper to buy a new 120amp and change the pulley wheel over if required.