trip computer installation

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: trip computer installation

Post by steve_earwig »

Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I'd heard they only sold them in mainland Europe. Probably as much power as a fart in a whirlwind :roll:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

a 1.6, a whirlwind has 10 times the power of that, fiat pandas are probably quicker. And why would they sell it in mainland europe, that gives it a chance to drive through the alps which in one of them would be a terrible experience. Judging from what its like to drive a 1.8 nissan primera with less than 120bhp, underpowered cars are not nice.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Could still arrive, along with the XUD auto.

Soon.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

soon, it will be there in 5 minuites, ok 10, wait 5 more, and so on.
Is there a 1.6 auto? Slow would really be redefined.
PIT

Post by PIT »

Hi
Let me tell you, that I found it possible to get it work on 2.0 HDI engine. (On my Xantia :mrgreen: )
Image Image

The signal 1368 comes out from pin 63 on BOSCH EDC15C2 used in 2.0 HDI.
You don't have to worry about the existance of BSI in HDI models. It is not needed! Just connect everything as it is for petrol engine, and it works. 8)

In Bulgarian Peugeot forum we also have some 406 2.1TD with already activated trip computer :cheesy: They used pin 23 on EPIC DIESEL ECU.

So I think only 1.9 TD does not support it :)
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

PIT wrote:Hi
Let me tell you, that I found it possible to get it work on 2.0 HDI engine. (On my Xantia :mrgreen: )
Image Image

The signal 1368 comes out from pin 63 on BOSCH EDC15C2 used in 2.0 HDI.
You don't have to worry about the existance of BSI in HDI models. It is not needed! Just connect everything as it is for petrol engine, and it works. 8)

In Bulgarian Peugeot forum we also have some 406 2.1TD with already activated trip computer :cheesy: They used pin 23 on EPIC DIESEL ECU.

So I think only 1.9 TD does not support it :)
8) 8) 8) 8)

That's good to hear as it's something i've wanted to do for some time, as I already have the stalk in place
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Wonder if those variable heated seat switches are the same size as the buttons in 406s... :lol:

(why why why why why did they use buttons instead of a variable control? :evil:)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

mjb wrote:Wonder if those variable heated seat switches are the same size as the buttons in 406s... :lol:

(why why why why why did they use buttons instead of a variable control? :evil:)
from their look, it looks the size as the coins holder ( which is where the heated buttons go) on 406 ... by variable control, you mean you could adjust the heat generated ? :o
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
PIT

Post by PIT »

I do not think only the buttons will be enough :) You may need the controller also.
And may be the variable switches from Citroen C5 which are quadratic will fit better from the rectangular one from Xantia... if they are not bigger...
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

PIT wrote:I do not think only the buttons will be enough :) You may need the controller also.
And may be the variable switches from Citroen C5 which are quadratic will fit better from the rectangular one from Xantia... if they are not bigger...
yeah.. that controller can be retro fitted to a 406 ? :supafrisk: :roll:
mjb wrote:Wonder if those variable heated seat switches are the same size as the buttons in 406s... :lol:

i hate so much shitroen, normally is the peugeot that gets the good things, apart from this i don't like citroen in general, they look so...weird and fragil in someway :evil:
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
APR
1.8 8v

Post by APR »

maxxymilian wrote:Some new info on trip computing :) me and a couple of guys have been doing serious research on the toppic for a week. The result - two working board computers on a 2.0 16v (Bosch) and 1.8 16v (Sagem sl96) the trick is also avalable for 1.8 8v(Magneti Marelli 1AP.20) The thing is that on Bosch ECU-s lead 1386 is on pin 4. On Sagem and Marelli it is on pin 5!
Some usefull pics on connecting stuff:

http://img85.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc05983r.jpg

Cheers form Peugeot Club Bulgaria 8)
So i can install the trip computer on my 1998 D8 1.8 Petrol ? I have to intall the sagem sl96 ?
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

maxxymilian wrote:Some new info on trip computing :) me and a couple of guys have been doing serious research on the toppic for a week. The result - two working board computers on a 2.0 16v (Bosch) and 1.8 16v (Sagem sl96) the trick is also avalable for 1.8 8v(Magneti Marelli 1AP.20) The thing is that on Bosch ECU-s lead 1386 is on pin 4. On Sagem and Marelli it is on pin 5!

Ooo splendid
Forgot about those pics
Going to print them off and get my electronics wiz mate to solder up like that in anticipation of getting the plug from Nutski

Have got a wire from behind the MFD into the engine compartment for going to pin 63 of the ecu, but won't connect that until have all the other wiring in place

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

plod wrote:

Ooo splendid
Forgot about those pics
Going to print them off and get my electronics wiz mate to solder up like that in anticipation of getting the plug from Nutski

Have got a wire from behind the MFD into the engine compartment for going to pin 63 of the ecu, but won't connect that until have all the other wiring in place
Sorry but i'm confused again

I want this up and running, but don't want to solder direct to the board
I want the plug into the MFD and connect that way

Pin 2 coming out of the second connector goes to an earth - I have an earth lead in place coming up from the dash earth point ready for this
Which is the earth in the pics, so I can discount this?

According to the pictures posted in link above
The yellow and blue for the info from the fuel tank sender seams to go to the top bank of plugs - correct? - if so which pins

Pin 5 goes to the trip enabled wiper stalk - correct?

Pin 6 according to previous wiring diagram goes to pin 15 on the instrument cluster?

Pin 10 as with above goes to pin 21 on the instrument cluster

OR

am I making this too complicated and should just wire as in pics?
but as said would prefer to have it wired with the secondary plug

Sorry, thought I had it right in my head, but re-read the whole thread again, and just got a little confused - especially with not sleeping last 3 days out of 4 :shock: :( :(

Also

When I fitted the new wiper stalk, on the coupe forum, it talked of the connector needing a blue wire there for it to work, I'm sure mine is there, but where does it go to, or am I thinking of the wrong one???

Yours sincerely

Tired and Confused :wink: :lol: :lol:

APR
1.8 8v

Post by APR »

So i can install the trip computer on my 1998 D8 1.8 Petrol ?