trip computer installation

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

APR
1.8 8v

Re: trip computer installation

Post by APR »

1- ok I saw today what ecu I have, and is a sl93-3. Doas anywan have the wiring diagram of this ecu ?

2- There are trip computers of many brands or is just one ?

3- It is possible to install in a 1998 D8 1.8 Petrol 112cv 1761cc ?
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

plod wrote:
plod wrote:
maxxymilian wrote:Some new info on trip computing :) me and a couple of guys have been doing serious research on the toppic for a week. The result - two working board computers on a 2.0 16v (Bosch) and 1.8 16v (Sagem sl96) the trick is also avalable for 1.8 8v(Magneti Marelli 1AP.20) The thing is that on Bosch ECU-s lead 1386 is on pin 4. On Sagem and Marelli it is on pin 5!
Some usefull pics on connecting stuff:

http://img85.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc05983r.jpg

Cheers form Peugeot Club Bulgaria 8)
Ooo splendid
Forgot about those pics
Going to print them off and get my electronics wiz mate to solder up like that in anticipation of getting the plug from Nutski

Have got a wire from behind the MFD into the engine compartment for going to pin 63 of the ecu, but won't connect that until have all the other wiring in place
Sorry but i'm confused again

I want this up and running, but don't want to solder direct to the board
I want the plug into the MFD and connect that way

Pin 2 coming out of the second connector goes to an earth - I have an earth lead in place coming up from the dash earth point ready for this
Which is the earth in the pics, so I can discount this?

According to the pictures posted in link above
The yellow and blue for the info from the fuel tank sender seams to go to the top bank of plugs - correct? - if so which pins

Pin 5 goes to the trip enabled wiper stalk - correct?

Pin 6 according to previous wiring diagram goes to pin 15 on the instrument cluster?

Pin 10 as with above goes to pin 21 on the instrument cluster

OR

am I making this too complicated and should just wire as in pics?
but as said would prefer to have it wired with the secondary plug

Sorry, thought I had it right in my head, but re-read the whole thread again, and just got a little confused - especially with not sleeping last 3 days out of 4 :shock: :( :(

Also

When I fitted the new wiper stalk, on the coupe forum, it talked of the connector needing a blue wire there for it to work, I'm sure mine is there, but where does it go to, or am I thinking of the wrong one???

Yours sincerely

Tired and Confused :wink: :lol: :lol:
Well should be a bit more simpler now!

Bought a replacement drivers electric seat switch off Ade1122 - the coupe breaker, and asked him if he could supply at least the bottom plug for the MFD, and if poss, the top on as well
Package was sitting on doorstep when got back this morning, and when I opened up, as well as the switch, there was both plugs connected to a MFD!
Result!!! :cheesy: 8) 8)
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Ade's brilliant isn't he? Kinda all year round Santa. 8)

Have you got it up & running yet?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Not yet Doggy

I've got another project on the go, that will involve having the clocks out, but i'm awaiting the part I require to be made
So as the trip computer also requires the clocks out, i'll wait until I have the above before continuing

For now, i'll just get the drivers seat out and replace the seat switch

I'm still not sure whether to buy a K&N panel filter for the airbox
If I do, i'll take the airbox out, as I think I read that sometimes wire 1368 can sometimes be found terminating under there
mmm, sounds even more reason to buy one :lol:
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
L12PUG
1.8 16v

Post by L12PUG »

AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I'm having a brain failure and I hope someone can help!!!

I have a 1999 V 2.0 Petrol GLX which has the MFD/Outside Temp/Radio display BUT it didn't have the button for the trip function.

I have fitted a stalk which has the Trip Button and it does scroll through the trip choices but it doesn't display any numbers.

I have read through this post and am now more confused than ever.........My car is the face lift model but I have no clue if it is a D8 or a D9 and is there a really simple explanation as to how to get the trip working........????? :oops:

HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by L12PUG on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

L12PUG wrote:AAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!
I have read through this post and am now more confused than ever.........My car is the face lift model but I have no clue if ot os a D8 or a D9 and is there a really simple explanation as to how to get the trip working........????? :oops:

HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!
Facelift is the D9. You would have to get the trip function enabled in the Bsi.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

PIT wrote:In Bulgarian Peugeot forum we also have some 406 2.1TD with already activated trip computer :cheesy: They used pin 23 on EPIC DIESEL ECU.
Anyone got any more information on retrofitting the MFD to a 2.1TD?

Does lead 1368 exist? And where does it terminate on non-t/c models? (Mine's an LX).

Cheers!
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
PIT

Post by PIT »

Hi
I just asked a friend who made it on two 2.1TD.
He said that on one of them there was no wire from the ECU but the other one had it terminated somewhere under the steering wheel.

So just take a look at the wires coming out of the ECU. If there is something going out from pin 23, then you can search for the other end somewhere near the steering wheel. If not, just use a new wire :)
Some people with petrol engines said that their 1368 wire was terminated in the fuse box under the hood. I don't know if this applies to diesel engines, but just for your information. :)
If you can not find the other end of the wire, just use a new one, and soldier it to the old one near the ECU connector. :)

Good luck!
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

PIT wrote:Hi
I just asked a friend who made it on two 2.1TD.
He said that on one of them there was no wire from the ECU but the other one had it terminated somewhere under the steering wheel.

So just take a look at the wires coming out of the ECU. If there is something going out from pin 23, then you can search for the other end somewhere near the steering wheel. If not, just use a new wire :)
Some people with petrol engines said that their 1368 wire was terminated in the fuse box under the hood. I don't know if this applies to diesel engines, but just for your information. :)
If you can not find the other end of the wire, just use a new one, and soldier it to the old one near the ECU connector. :)

Good luck!
Hi,

Thank you very much for this! Do you know how to take the ECU connector apart? I've lifted the metal clip and detached the connector from the ECU, but I cannot see how to disassemble the connector to see if there a wire on pin 23.

Once I have this lead, does it work the same was as with the petrol models? I.e. it connects to the same pin on the MFD?

Thanks again for your help, appreciate it!
PIT

Post by PIT »

Everything is absolutely the same as on petrol engine.
Looking from the bottom, if there is a wire, there will be a connector too.
Here you can see how mine was
I needed the 63-rd pin, and there was nothing inside...

My connector (on HDI engine) have a small T10 screw on the one end. After removing it, and one cap on top of all wires which was held with pig tail, then I pulled this yellow part of the connector with the wires in it from the covering part (with the locking metal clip).
I don't know what type of connector is used for your ECU, but I hope this will help. :)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

PIT wrote:EMy connector (on HDI engine) have a small T10 screw on the one end. After removing it, and one cap on top of all wires which was held with pig tail, then I pulled this yellow part of the connector with the wires in it from the covering part (with the locking metal clip).
I don't know what type of connector is used for your ECU, but I hope this will help. :)
Excellent, thank you, you're a great help!

I don't suppose you have a wiring diagram / pin description for the 2.1TD Lucas ECU connector? I'm not entirely certain which pin number 23 is, and I don't want to risk getting it wrong!

This is looking feasible, just getting all the bits together, then will have a go at fitting this. It'd be excellent to have a working trip computer :)
PIT

Post by PIT »

It should be written on the cable connector or on the ECU connector. At least which is the first pin on every raw of pins. Then just count to find yours :)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Thank you! Will have a look later and try and find the right pin.

If there is no lead, how did you go about connecting a new one to the ECU? Do you know which metal terminals I need to slot into the ECU connector? I don't want to solder directly to the ECU!
poddack
2.0 Turbo

Post by poddack »

According to this it is connected, the trip computer is 7210, wire 1368 and ECU pin 23.
http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/p8c.shtml
406 estate, 2.1TD, I fixed her, then part exchanged her for a Mercedes E300TD Avantgarde Estate.
Hmmmm, straight 6 goodness!
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Oh that's excellent, I was searching for a wiring diagram showing the 1368 lead, thanks!

I haven't had a chance to have a look at the ECU & connector yet, will try and do so this week. If there's no lead, I need to find a way to connect to the ECU...