406 110 HDI Anti Pollution Fault

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ArLee
1.8 8v

406 110 HDI Anti Pollution Fault

Post by ArLee »

Hey everyone.
Yesternight my car's [Y reg 406, 2.0L, 110 HDI] check engine light lit up and it gave antipollution fault, 2 minutes after me starting her up to go home from work.
I read few topics already posted about this fault on site mention that owner's car has gone into limp mode.
Mine isn't. She is still revving and with fault I hit 120 mph thinking it might be slightly clogged DPF and it might clear it out. :mrgreen:
Any idea what could it be?
I don't know if it was a temporary issue that occurred for few seconds and then went away, but the fault code is still appearing, or something permanent. I started her today just to check if it is in limp mode but it wasn't. She is driving great just ever.
Would really appreciate some help and advice. Thanks!
110 GTX. I only bought it cause GTX sounds cool. Should've bought a clean LS. :/
ArLee
1.8 8v

Re: 406 110 HDI Anti Pollution Fault

Post by ArLee »

And also can someone please tell me how much engine oil goes in 2.0 HDI? With and without new oil filter.
I don't have any manual or anything to refer. Thanks!
Last edited by ArLee on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
110 GTX. I only bought it cause GTX sounds cool. Should've bought a clean LS. :/
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Without getting the fault code read, all anyone can do is guess.

The only 406 with a FAP is the 2.2 HDi, so it's nothing to do with that. (Peugeot imply that they made a 110 with a FAP, but we've never actually seen or heard of one.)

The car is in limp home mode only when the orange engine management light is lit on the dash.

It's possible to get a fault thrown up that disappears after a restart.
This happens to me sometimes when I go over a bump.

So unless the engine management light stays on after restarting, or this is happening really often, I wouldn't worry. "French electrics" :roll:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
ArLee
1.8 8v

Post by ArLee »

Thanks for the input.
Well check engine light [engine management light] is lit on the dash. And there is beep as well few seconds after starting the car.
I guess I will get it checked if it starts behaving erratically. Right now she is sweet as ever. Might need an oil change though.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Should take 4.5 litres, including filter change.
It can take 3 - 5 'journeys' to reset the EML if you have an intermittent fault. If it stays on longer than this, it's a 'permanent fault', but easier to diagnose.
(If you add your location someone local may offer to help) :wink:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

I suspect that the only way forward with this is to get the fault codes read. As Doggy says, add your location, you never know which kindly soul is near by.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
ArLee
1.8 8v

Post by ArLee »

Doggy wrote:Should take 4.5 litres, including filter change.
It can take 3 - 5 'journeys' to reset the EML if you have an intermittent fault. If it stays on longer than this, it's a 'permanent fault', but easier to diagnose.
(If you add your location someone local may offer to help) :wink:
Praise the gods.... :D
Thanks Doggy.
It was a fluke, I guess.
On my third 'journey' the check engine light turned off.
EML was on when I was on my way to work. When I started my car to come back home, EML was still on but it turned off as soon as I pulled out of the car park. So yeah...happy times!!
pugmiester406
1.6 8v

Post by pugmiester406 »

ive just had the same thing with mine. engine man light on dash and anti pollution in the screen display. i have changed the fuel filter (which was in a @hit state :evil: :evil: ) then i had a mate cancel the fault with a cheap fault code reader. u have to do this as the ecu will remember even if uv fixed the fault :roll: :roll: hey presto!!!! she is all good xxxxxxxxx
McCool

Post by McCool »

Had something very similar with my 2.2 HDi.

Went on for months before I got to the bottom of the problem.

Every so often the Engine Light would come on, accompanied by a beep and the multi function display would say "anti-pollution system defective". The car would also go into limp mode which was a real pain in the ar*e especially on my long journeys to Scotland.

What was weird was that after a few days, it was almost as if the car "healed" itself. The light would disappear and limp mode would be gone. However, a month or two down the line and the hole thing would happen again.

After thinking it was something serious and lots of under the hood checking, in the end I discovered it was as innocent as a split in the Vacuum hose that runs from the Turbo to the Advance on the Swirl Chamber.

So basically, check all your hoses. You'd be surprised at how something so simple could cause such problems.

Regards