help lost my one and only key

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

Re: help lost my one and only key

Post by mjb »

sounds like they're trying to get it sorted, not just fob you off, so I'd say give 'em a chance
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

well after days of phoneing they are going to send another key,iam not happy but they say its the correct one they sent so wont come out so that's all they will do
will give them a couple of days and if ive not heard anything might try the sale of goods act/distance selling regs or try a charge back on my debit card.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

well I finally got them out to my car today,they had cut another key but it still didn't fit! so they agreed to open the door for me and they said they couldn't do anything else.
so I think my options are
phone another locksmith and see what they can do
get another barrel and key from a scrap car and spend hours drilling my barrel out, do I needto swap anything else like the ecu?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

You still have the chip part of your key, and the Transponder ring so your ECU will be fine - hopefully you can put the scrapyard barrel on with your own transponder ring and put your transponder chip into scrapyard key and it should all work - I hope.

Try to get both door locks, boot lock, ignition barrel and the airbag switch between the seats.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Thats a crap service,
if theyve opend the door they shouid of been able to cut akey,

you wont need to change anything ecu wise as youve got the other half of key, as ginger says,

as for removal, what id do is get angle grinder out and cut aline, see pic,
battery off first, im sure you will work it out,
steering column.JPG
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

well phoned another locksmith who says he can cut a key for me that will fit but its going to cost me a £100 pounds :(
this is getting expensive.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Is there anyone in your area that will take a door lock and strip it down making a key to fit the lock?
There are 2 shops near me who do this....the last time I had it done the cost was £25, but it was a while back.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

well happy days :cheesy: :cheesy:
took jaspers idea on but couldn't find anyone intrested in doing it so phoned up the bloke who quoted me a 100 pounds.asked a few questions and he was confident he could do it.so I said okay if you that confident come on out but if you come and you cant do it iam not going to pay you a penny.there was a short silence and he said okay.
turned up but some sort of feeler gauge type thing in the door lock and went and cut a key in his van,but the new key in lock and..............................................it didn't work! tried all the locks and no joy.went and cut another key and ......................................no joy,back to the van and a bit later and still neither of the keys are working! so he takes the door panel off takes the drivers side lock out and back in the van he goes a bit later another new key and .............it still dosnt work..hes not happy so away he goes into the van again and cuts another key and ....yes you right it still dosnt work.so plan b he decides to take the door lock out of the passenger side but as the car is parked six inches away from next doors fence its a bit difficult but after a while we manage it.he takes the lock back to his van and a bit later we have key number 5 and IT WORKS :cheesy: :cheesy: .
he said he must have done something wrong at first but not sure what he but the car back together and fixed the new blade in my old surround. all in he was at my house for about 3 and half hours but he said the job shouldn't have taken more than a hour.
did think about cutting the barrel out as suggested but thought its not going to be easy to close it up and if the steering lock comes on when going down the road!!!!
so I think it was 100 pounds well spent.
still not happy with the first company as the first bloke never tried that feeler gauge trick or really tried so might try a charge back on my card,what do you guys think?
it hurts that ive paid 65 pounds out and got nowhere,if he had given me half of it back I would have been happy but I just feel ripped of.
so folks learn from my mistake and get a spare key now if you havnt got one.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Yes,try acharge back, iwouid,

glad to hear you got a key cut atlast, 8)