Rear fog lights

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Rear fog lights

Post by steve_earwig »

Me too - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6768&p=67757&hilit= ... ole#p67757

I'm pretty sure both lights work on my D9 already (but I ain't pulling it out to checl :oops: )
Doggy wrote:One rear fog means more chance of following vehicles* seeing your stop lights.
Fortunately our cars have 3 brake lights...

As Dai says, the fault is probably as the wire comes from the body and into the tail gate. Sadly Sedre doesn't do diagrams for a D8 but I can imagine the connectors being in the same place as a semi-mux D9:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
bostonwayne
1.6 8v

Post by bostonwayne »

thanks I will take a look tomorrow
bostonwayne
1.6 8v

Post by bostonwayne »

what I have done is cross the wires on the plug going into the switch and the fog light came on however when I connected the switch back up the lights were still on. When I opened the tailgate the lights went off again and I cant get them back on even when I cross the wires again I think the easiest thing to do is to run another wire from the switch to the foglights and all I need to know is does anyone know the colours of the wires ive to connect Thanks for your help
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I checked mine when I got it because of only offside one working and found there is no metalwork for bulb contact in the unit.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Just to add, I put the rear left hand cluster from my 2004 Exec ( 2 fogs ), onto my 2002 GLX ( 1 fog ) and the GLX now has 2 fogs.

To confirm, the wiring is already in place, but adding a bulb either by making the hole bigger as previous posts, or fitting an exec cluster will give you 2 fogs.

I do like a bit of symmetry.... ....yrtemmys fo tib a ekil od I
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

Hey Ginger, can you go more in depth about making this 'hole bigger'?
Today I put an extra light bulb into the cluster, fits like a glove and wouldn't see why you would need to make anything bigger?
Sadly this car as well as my old 1999 D9 does not seem to light up the rear fog light.
If you say the wiring is definitely there for the extra fog lights, does this mean there is no connection for the cluster itself?
Or maybe I need to search for a Executive cluster like you say. What about LHD cars? Don't they have the rear fog lights on the left hand side?

Sounds like a pointless mod, but like you, I like symmetry and would love to have 2 lights to make it look like they are brake lights to the easily fooled tailgaters.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Ass-uming the connectors are the same couldn't you plug the cluster with a working fog into the opposite side of the car to test the wiring prior to modding anything or buying an exec cluster?
In my head it's a 5 minute job so will probably take the best part of a week!
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

pug406nz wrote:What about LHD cars? Don't they have the rear fog lights on the left hand side?
Yes. On an estate anyway - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6768&p=67757&hilit= ... ole#p67771
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

Now I see what you mean by drilling holes, must be for the estate only.
Gumby, I will try that out actually, right cluster plugged into the left loom, thats if the wires match up.
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

Just a little update in regards to putting in an extra rear fog light for SEDAN (D9 - but it should be for D8's as well). The cluster takes a bulb which you can simply put in, the cluster will be working fine, you just need a power supply to the bulb. I had a look at the positioning on the other cluster (Working one) and found the wire for the rear fog light (Dark Blue), they symmetrical wire for the cluster is an Orange one. Now lucky for me, the main loom for both rear lights happened to be on the right hand side, so I didn't have to run an extra wire, just had to simply get enough length of the orange wire and attach it to the blue wire, put a bulb and hey presto! You have symmetrical rear fog lights now.
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I had a look at feasibility of fitting my nearside, and the positive feed bar is not there either. I reckon a LHD one should do the trick.

FWIW, there was a rant on another Forum some time ago about the misuse of rear 'fog' lamps, and there were quite a few who defended using them in heavy rain as the proper term is high visibility lamp or some such jargon. A lot of users started using terms such as armchair warrior and trolls etc which led to a fair amount leaving that particular Forum.

As to the fronts, I have yet to see a true 'fog' lamp fitted to the front by a manufacturer. Every one I have ever seen would only be a driving lamp. I have a pair of proper fog lamps which have been fitted to almost every car I have ever owned, and they put a pencil beam across the road to light up white lines, cats-eyes etc underneath fog or mist which can then be seen through the mist/fog. I have always wired them independently as there is no point trying to use them when already dazzled by the reflection of your dip beams.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

I've found the front fog lights on my 406 to be OK when used in heavy fog with the headlights off. You still have to slow down significantly, but you'll be able to see the white lines. Then again, I've only ever experienced fog that thick once in my life, and I probably should have stayed at home anyway.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
pug406nz
1.8 16v

Post by pug406nz »

Mmmm, my only use of rear fog lights are when its foggy and there are people behind me or the most commonly used is for tailgaters. I flick them on and off to signal to person behind me that they are a bit too close. Thats why I wanted 2 so it seems more like brake lights now.