Heater Blower location? and fuse?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

tomocarper

Heater Blower location? and fuse?

Post by tomocarper »

I have a 98 406 diesel Lx....

my heater blower has completely stopped working...

could anyone tell me the location of the motor and how i access it?

ive checked all fuses and none seem to be blown, no one happens to know which fuse it?

thanks a lot if you can help
adam
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Heater Blower location? and fuse?

Post by mjb »

It's behind the glovebox - you can access and remove it from the passenger footwell, you just need to pull off the soundproofing which is held in by 3 studs.

Chances are you'll see the big thick red wire going into the blower is burnt around the connector. You can either replace the blower or clean up the connection and solder it up
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Bundy
1.8 16v

Post by Bundy »

mjb wrote:It's behind the glovebox - you can access and remove it from the passenger footwell, you just need to pull off the soundproofing which is held in by 3 studs.

Chances are you'll see the big thick red wire going into the blower is burnt around the connector. You can either replace the blower or clean up the connection and solder it up
This is a very common fault on 406's and something peugeot never seemed to do anything about. An easy way to test if this is your problem is to make sure the blower is switched on and waggled the wires around, if the motor kicks in at all then is the connector. When mine first went i just moved the wire around until the blower came on, then i just taped the wire in that position for a while because it was snowing and i really didnt fancy mucking about with it in the snow, lol.
Man: What shall i wear?
Woman: Oh for god sake, you're not a child, i'm sure you can dress yourself!
5 mins later.
Man: Right then, what do you think?
Woman: You're not seriously going to wear THAT are you?
Man: Well i did ask you!
woman: <sigh> Come on, let's go dress you PROPERLY...
Man: WELL I DID ASK YOU!
john444john

Post by john444john »

Hi
Had the same problem. On mine fuse 13 (50amp in the main fuse box by the battery) serves a fuse 40 (40amp bottom left in the fuse box under the steering wheel) but in between it passes through the ignition key switch and this can be faulty (as it was in my case)
To test open the car fuse panel, switch on the ignition and 12 volts DC should be available on one side of the 40amp fuse socket.
good luck John444john
tomocarper

Post by tomocarper »

Thanks guys...

Well i took off the soundproofing, fiddled around for a second, went to turn the heater on....it works...
anyway went out in the carstopped, put the radio on whilst waiting for r lass. started car again no fan blower!

seems strange it coincided with putting the radio on because the first time is stopped working i had been taking the radio out..
probably coincidence but im wonderin if i could have knocked some wiring or sumthing behind their?

anyway, ever since i bought the car their has been a whirring noise coming from behind the glovebox, i can only assume its the heater motor....not sure whether to buy a new one..i guess i`ll have to do some more testing when i can get some light

cheers guys
bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Post by bangernom1cs »

HI,
If you're hunting around the scrappys or ebay for these heaters then the later 405 models had the same workings,
Just make sure you get the correct one, ie aircon or not, and make sure you do the pollen filter regularly
as this puts a strain on the motor when blocked which causes the overheating red wire problem. Worth cleaning when you are down there and the supply multiplug which is close by also.
The later 406 d9 heaters dont fit D8's.
I went through a 2nd hand heater fan approx every 80k on the last car.

Tony