NSF Window inop

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

duke406

NSF Window inop

Post by duke406 »

Hi all am new to this forum , have recently bought a 406 on a v plate , that has a problem with the ns front electric window not working . Have got power going to the motor but window wont budge , have fitted another motor and still no joy , when I fit the 2nd unit the window went up via the switch but now wont move .I have checked both the wires at the motor and they both work ie if I press up 1terminal lights up if Ipress down the other terminal lights up .Any help would be appreciated Ian
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: NSF Window inop

Post by teamster1975 »

Welcome in Ian! :)
If there is voltage at the motor the regulator may be jammed...
If you've still got the old motor can you plug it in and see if it operates?
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
duke406

Post by duke406 »

have plugged in old motor and that goes but only one way , if I disconnect the plug and cross the wires over then it will go again but only in the opposite direction .Have checked for voltage at connecter again and both are lighting up test lamp as expected .
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Ian & Welcome 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

Had this on my mates 406. Spent an afternoon swapping motors before I realised the passenger door has a "slave" switch!
The drivers door switches are the master. They're usually gummed up. Try some contact cleaner (you can get them apart if you are careful!) Or swap the unit over with another one. Also check the connections under the switch unit haven't loose in the door.
duke406

Post by duke406 »

Thanks for prompt replies , when you say that the n/s switch is a 'slave' , and the main switch is the master , does this mean that if the main switch is not working for the passenger window , then the window will not work as my main switch only works for my drivers window , although I dont understand about power going to the motor thanks Ian
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

duke406 wrote:Thanks for prompt replies , when you say that the n/s switch is a 'slave' , and the main switch is the master , does this mean that if the main switch is not working for the passenger window , then the window will not work as my main switch only works for my drivers window , although I dont understand about power going to the motor thanks Ian
Same thing happened. Window would go up but not down. Changed drivers side and all was well. Not sure but i think power goes to the drivers side then to controller then passenger side. Even changed passenger switch to no avail.
mandelbug
2.0 16v

Post by mandelbug »

From memory the Ford Focus is the same, I disconnected the drivers side window switch and then couldn't get the passenger side down until it was plugged back in