New Car - grief already - any ideas?

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

scottpsouth
1.8 8v

New Car - grief already - any ideas?

Post by scottpsouth »

HI,

I just got a 97 2.0 Petrol Exec 406.

I have the following problems:

1) The AC went from working fine - to working intermittently - to not working at all in two days! I have a feeling that the dealer may have regassed it the day i went would this fit in with what happened if there were a leak?

2) The STOP light has come on permanently with no other lights! What does this mean (I dont have the manaul) can I drive it? Can I read the fault codes?

3) The rear passenger window opens again when it reachers the top - how can I reset the windows system?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Scott
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Does a road sign that says Stop mean Stop?

The STOP light means stop. For want of a better expression. It usualy indicates some sort of engine critical fault. A low level of some important fluid, or an electronic issue.

But just to show you its not all bad, I have a 1996 N reg LX. 2.0 litre. And as everyone on the foruim will tell you, with 179K miles on the clock, she's never given me any grief beyond the usual stuff that every car gets. Leaks, tyres, echaust etc.
scottpsouth
1.8 8v

Post by scottpsouth »

Well the stop light came on just after i accidently revved it up in PARK. only jently to about 2.5k rpm Surely that cant have done anything? It starts and runs fine and all the levels are fine. It runs sweet as a nut and has only done 66k.. I reckon (and hope) its a electrical fault
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

That is a strange one. It may be worth getting the local Dealer to check what the computer says.
Davva2004
2.0 16v
Location: Stood beside my 406 with a sledgehammer, cursing everything French

Post by Davva2004 »

The STOP light is controlled by the coolant level sensor, the coolant temp sensor, the oil level sensor and the oil pressure sensor. Any problems with any of the readings from these sensors and the ECU triggers the STOP light.

I'd take it back to where you bought it and demand they sort it out.
[email protected]
Niz406 wrote::arrowu: Winner of the 2007 New Years Competition :cheesy:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Yup I agree, make the dealer sort out any and all problems.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
TheSongRemainsTheSame
1.8 16v

Re: New Car - grief already - any ideas?

Post by TheSongRemainsTheSame »

scottpsouth wrote:HI,

I just got a 97 2.0 Petrol Exec 406.

I have the following problems:

1) The AC went from working fine - to working intermittently - to not working at all in two days! I have a feeling that the dealer may have regassed it the day i went would this fit in with what happened if there were a leak?

2) The STOP light has come on permanently with no other lights! What does this mean (I dont have the manaul) can I drive it? Can I read the fault codes?

3) The rear passenger window opens again when it reachers the top - how can I reset the windows system?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Scott
Try turning the ac function off. Still no cold/hot air? Then me $0.2 say you have an engine cooling problem.
Land of the Free?
scottpsouth
1.8 8v

Post by scottpsouth »

Its the rad fans - they arent coming on - thus stopping the AC.... Need to check the fuses does anyone know which one it is and where it is? Thanks

Scott
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

As for the stop light, I had that on my 206 and the garage told me to
take the battery off for 30mins to reset the ecu. It worked warning light
never came back on. :cheesy:
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Juzza
1.8 16v

Post by Juzza »

I had a problem with my a/c - the connection to the one of the fans was dodgy and nothing would work. Re-made the connection and it's been fine ever since.

Radiator fans are in Battery Fusebox 2, Fuses F6 and F7 (says 20/40 Amp).

Passenger fusebox Fuse F21 says Air conditioning/Heating Ventilation, it's only 10 amps..
scottpsouth
1.8 8v

Post by scottpsouth »

Hi,

Fans were completely dead. Replaced and working fine. Everything else sorted as well. It runs at <90 degrees now. Bit worried that I might have damaged something before (ran at 100 degrees and once or twice went up to 110)

Cheers

Scott
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

scottpsouth wrote:Hi,

Fans were completely dead. Replaced and working fine. Everything else sorted as well. It runs at <90 degrees now. Bit worried that I might have damaged something before (ran at 100 degrees and once or twice went up to 110)

Cheers

Scott

Nah, thats fine. Its that red bit at the right side of the guage you want to avoid.

My car settles at between 80 to 90 when moving and climbs to 100 when stationary. Its been to 110 before on a very hot and humid day in Germany, stayed there for a wee while too.
SHD1983
1.6 8v

Fault Code Reader

Post by SHD1983 »

My 406 HDI 110 (2000 Wplate) has an OBD2 Socket to the right of the steering wheel behind the black panel. I got a reader from http://www.ukobd.co.uk for ?35. It will let you read the codes for some problems but not all (won't do P codes). Diesels only had to be OBD2 complient from 2003.

For the same price as it costs to get a garage to read it I didn't think it was a bad deal, plus it confirmed the Fault the Garage identified (380 - glowplugs, 220 throttle sensor) when the ecu light came on shortly after I got the car.

If it's a serious problem and the car's not running right I'd still go to a garage and get them to download the fault codes.