Cooling fans have packed up. Not good in this weather!!!!!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Gregstar

Cooling fans have packed up. Not good in this weather!!!!!!!

Post by Gregstar »

Hi all

Been away from the site for some time due to being the the proud owner of a Nissan skyline R33. This car has taken me away from the Pug which is now needing some TLC....
I was driving home last night in 30 degree heat when i noticed my temp gauge had gone past 100 degrees........ but not quite in the red.Phew!
Popped the bonet and could hear the water bubling in the pipe going to the thermostat housing and the water started to leak out the drain house on the water header tank... After it had cooled I took the thermostat out but that was ok and the rad was hot so thats working. then realised that the fans at the front would not cut in....
Tinkered about for 30mins checking plugs and wires and fans etc.. ran the car up again and the fan cut in at 90 degrees. Sorted.... or so I thought put the car back together again and gave it one last test and NOTHING.. AHRRRRRRR.....

Has anybody out their had this problem??? so many wires and relays and no manual for the 2L turbo. :evil:

Many thanks in advance for any help

Greg
My Big red TAXI
:)
Gregstar

Post by Gregstar »

Sorted. Had an auto electrician come out and he said both fans had burnt out...

Drilled the old fans out as you cant get to the bolts without removing both rads and the intercooler... silly design...got two new fans from the breakers and fitted them. found one earth wire not earthing so that might explain why the other fan burnt out. car now runs at a steady 80 degrees in all weather.
:cheesy:
My Big red TAXI
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

you now have an r33? pllllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeee pics and specs! :D
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
Gregstar

Post by Gregstar »

Pics now added to Misc gallery with spec.

Hope you like :D
My Big red TAXI
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

had this problem on my 2.0 16v, ive got some 2nd hand fans off my old 1.9td, i believe there the same if you want them
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems