digital display centre console

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

chili
2.0 16v

digital display centre console

Post by chili »

hello every one.
please be gentle with me....don't gt my 406 till next friday have driven it already and have a few Q's

the digital display some of the display is missing.....would this be a case of replacing bulbs ?

the car in question is a v reg 2.0 glx 16v costing me ?1200 has 12 months mot the guy is a dealer working from home....is this too much ?

the air con may need regassing :( my son works for peugeot :)

the air bag light is flashing i moved the drivers seat... have read that i may have to do some joining of wires, any other possible causes ?

oh when i registered on this site there was an option of model d8 or d9 what is all that about ???

thanks
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

That price sounds quite cheap for a mark 2 406? (Mark 1 is 1996-1999, Mark 2 is 1999-2004.)

If the centre display is out - I assume you mean the one which normally displays radio station, temperature etc - it might be that your stereo head unit has been replaced with an aftermarket unit? Failing that, probably a bulb or something.
ImageImage
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

it is only partialy out some bits are vissble some bits are not, i hope it is just bulbs
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hello chili.

The display will just be a bulb out.

The Air Bag should be the connection under the seat somewhere, common problem, mine is ok so don't know where to tell you to look but someone here will.

The Air Con though, worries me a bit. You see I have just had to replace the Condenser Radiator on mine (a 1999) yours is of the right age unfortunately to suffer the same problem.

You should budget ?300.00 for this which would be a new Condenser, fitting, testing and a regass. You see with air con if it's not working then it has leaked most probably and a regass will just leak out again.

Here's a pic of where they most commonly leak on D9's i.e 1999 onwards new front end etc.

That is green refrigerant oil leaking from where the condenser has rotted through at the bottom of the plastic housing that hold the electric fan at the front.

I reckon you have got it cheap enough to hopefully get a few bits done to it to make it just right, normally these issues build up and the previous owner gives up and sells out not wanting to part with any more on repairs.

PS. I hate those sellers working from home, they might be the nicest people but something tells you they want to sting you. Hope yours goes well, the 406 is suprisingly trouble free, ask anyone here.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

thanks for the info welton, is that the front of the engine bay by the rad ? when i say the a/c is not working i should of been abit more clear, i hear it come on etc but i have read some posts where a/c is ice cold and some are not.....i felt cold air coming out of the vents on the short distance we went so i am just hoping it needs to be re-gassed to make it colder. i could not see any patches of green, however i may have missed that if i did not know where i was looking.
the car has had 3 owners in 7 years and the last owner had it for a year, very well looked after
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well you might be ok then, interstingly the green dissapears after about a week so you would never know.

Tryt and get a digital thermometer you should get between 5 and 8 deg C coming from the vents on full cooling.
Cars in my care:
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

Welton wrote: Tryt and get a digital thermometer you should get between 5 and 8 deg C coming from the vents on full cooling.
thats providing its working ok ? i would not get those temps if it needed gassing would i ?

will the car perform alright if i just totally forget the a/c ?
Welly

Post by Welly »

If it's low on gas but still functioning you will notice it will struggle to get down to around 10 deg, Car a/c can normally get down to 10 deg quite quickly in fact and then to get down to say, 6 deg can take another 10 minutes !

If it won't go any lower then 10 then after say, 15 mins then it's not quite right my compressor started making a chattering noise when low on gas although it was still working.

You can leave the a/c off no problem, in fact it does sap a bit of power from the engine as it is driven from one of the auxillary belts along with the alternator and power steering.
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Re: digital display centre console

Post by mjb »

chili wrote:hello every one.
please be gentle with me....don't gt my 406 till next friday have driven it already and have a few Q's

the digital display some of the display is missing.....would this be a case of replacing bulbs ?
If there's an aftermarket stereo in place you'll just get the exterior temperature on the display and the trip computer stuff if it has that. If it's faded on the one half then it'll be a bulb gone. They're about ?1.50 from a dealer and easy as pie to replace. Just lever the display out carefully to avoid denting the plastic.

If you're on about dashboard lights then it's a pretty simple job to replace them too, and they're about the same price bulbs. The Haynes manual covers it well enough

Remember that when dealing with a Peugeot dealer for *anything* you absolutely need to have your chassis number to hand. If you don't they won't serve you (I found that out the hard way after a 6 mile walk in the pouring rain to buy a windscreen wiper!!!)
oh when i registered on this site there was an option of model d8 or d9 what is all that about ???
Look at the sigs on this page, in particular notice the radiator grilles. PsychoPoet406 is showing a D8 (Mark 1) and Welton a D9 (Mark 2). It's the easiest way to tell them apart :)
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

many thanks for the info mjb i'm a d9 :)
center console is just faded and some digital bits missing, standard radio that came with car. i'm itching to get it and start to polish and fiddle.
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

many thanks for the info mjb i'm a d9 :)
center console is just faded and some digital bits missing, standard radio that came with car. i'm itching to get it and start to polish and fiddle.