now im really fed up!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sprinter199
1.8 8v

now im really fed up!!!

Post by sprinter199 »

hi everyone,
my key fob arrived from ebay yesterday. i spent about 6 hours pressing buttons, battery on car on and off, even the fob battery in and out. all manner of sequences and some jumping up and down and swearing.
this fob will not work with my car!!!!. its broke now anyway. :(

does anyone on here know what i need to get, to make this work. can i get a ecu and keys? would that work or would i need more stuff.

if anyone can let me know what i need to change the system i would be very gratefull. if someone has the bits would you like to sell them. :?: :?: :?:
my car is a 1998 2.1td estate. it has no key pad and presently has tear drop 2 button key with an led.
if the bits are easy to replace and not too dear this would be cool.
i would preferably like to have 2 working fobs if possible.

does this plan sound ok??

by the way, i am near heathrow.
cheers doug.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: now im really fed up!!!

Post by steve_earwig »

I lost track of your posts on this, did anyone tell you to go to the breakers and get the remotes and receiver out of another 406 of similar age yet?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
sprinter199
1.8 8v

Post by sprinter199 »

hi steve-earwig,
no, it was not mentioned to me.
would you know where the receiver thing is??. is it one of the boxes behind the glovebox? and rather than mess about any more can i just stick my old chip to the steering column and that would be it for the immobiliser?? is this a seperate system.??
i know it is not of major importance to use the key, but as someone said on here, if its on the car, it has to work.
thanks for replying. i am in and out all day so any replies will be this evening.
cheers, doug.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Looks like you can get it all from the dealer for only 403 quid, bargain :roll:

This looks like the kit behind the glove box:

I've only read about doing this on here but it seems pretty logical. If you can find a 406 in the breakers with two button remotes like yours, have them and the control box (B). I'm not sure if this'll deal with the transponder chip too, but I guess it'll be one or the other, if it turns out to still be your original one you could just remove it from the old key and glue it inside the steering column shroud as you suggest.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lecky4
1.8 8v

Post by lecky4 »

Hi,
The hand book says to synch' the remote when the battery is changed to re-programme the fob. You haven't said if you tried this so just incase this is how the handbook says to do it.
1 Press button A (the big one on the fob, some fobs have two buttons) until the light stops flashing.
2 Release the button, the indicator light is lit continuously.
3 Press button A twice near the vehicle.
4 Switch the ignition on for at least 3 seconds.
5 Switch off the ignition. The fob should now work.

As usual Peugoet seems to have wanted to make it as difficult as possible, hope it helps.
It may only be 12V but it's the amphere that kills you!
3Ltr V6 ES9J4S D8
sprinter199
1.8 8v

Post by sprinter199 »

back home now thank god.
@ steve_earwig,
£403, is that all????? i might as well get 2 so i have a spare.!! thank you for pictures. i may pass on the stealers prices at the moment.

@lecky4,
thanks for your input, my fob i bought off ebay would only light the led for about a second. i never managed to get to the stage where it was on permanently. over exuberant pressing and frustration has rendered the thing useless anyway. :(

if i only need this receiver thing and keys i think that is the way to go. :)
i will keep all informed about this and chip in key thing.
thanks for replying,
doug.