Non Starting HDI-90HP

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TJD

Non Starting HDI-90HP

Post by TJD »

Hello All!

My Problem,
Began to have a difficult starting hot or cold. The engine sometimes would not start for perhaps 9 or 10 turns. I'd switch off the ignition, try again and 3 or 4 turns it would start.

This problem got more and more frequent and a warning light started to light on the dash at the same time, the symbol is a square with a key inserted. I am told this is a immobiliser fault warning light.

I also noticed that each time this light came on, the the tank pump wasn't working, I eliminated (I think!) the pump as the cause by connecting a spare pump I have (which I tested before trying) this pump also doesn't work on the car when trying to start.

The car has finally refused to start at all!

I have since changed the barrel mounted transponder aerial as I understand this can be a source of problems, still no go!

Does anyone have any advice on where to look next or what to do.

Is it possible that faulty or worn contacts in the ignition switch could be the cause? (the car has done 200,000 miles)and am I right in thinking there is no point in obtaining another key (I don't have a spare)

Thanks in advance
Tony.