circulation flap motors

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

fjbmw
1.6 8v

circulation flap motors

Post by fjbmw »

Hi all,
I had a noise coming from under the dash every time I started the engine (to be honest it was hard to miss). After some investigation it turned out to be the circulation flap motor, which as many of you will know is a bugger to get to and even harder to get out. I did manage to succeed in removing the motor and now the noise has stopped :P . I thought that I would plug the motor in and see if I could see what happened, when you start the engine it does approximately 1 1/2 revolutions clockwise, and when you push the circulation button it does the same 1 1/2 revolutions clockwise.
:?:
My question for you fine people in 406oc land is this, is this the correct operation or should it go in both directions? I say this as looking at the cog it drives it would make more since for it to go forwards and backwards.

Another problem I have is the rear wiper is not working. Now the story behind this is that the last owner of the car noticed it had stopped working and did some basis checks and found that the shaft from the motor that goes to the outside of the car had seized solid. He got a replacement off of EBay put it on and it didn't work. At this point he left it. Now I own the car I want it working, I have got hold of yet another motor (it was free off a mate) tried this and again it didn't work. I have since put 12v through both replacements and they both work, time for more in-depth searching. The next train of thought is power getting through answer no. checked all fuses, all ok, I even changed them for new ones just incase it was a contact issue. Then I thought it might be the wiring that goes through the tailgate but that too checked out ok. Then I bought a replacement wiper stalk but this also failed to get the wiper working.
:?:
When I was checking the wiring I noticed it goes from the stalk to the BSI. so what I need to know is does the wiper system have a built in failsafe for when the motor seizes or malfunction that turns itself off in the BSI when a fault like this is detected?
If this is the case how do I turn it back on?

Thanks in advance for you help

fjbmw
fjbmw
1.6 8v

Re: circulation flap motors

Post by fjbmw »

Update.

Today I went to the local scrappy they only had one 406, a salon and it had a circulation motor so I took a chance it was a good one and removed it from the car in the scrappy. One thing I noticed was that this model had an access flap in the glove box which meant I didn't have to remove the whole glove box only take off the front which was a bonus as I couldn't open the passengers door because of the car in the next stack was too close! So I couldn't get to the screws under the left hand access cover. After removing said item along with a couple of other bits like stereo Knob (mine had gone all manky) and the little plastic cover that goes next to the MFD (mine had 2 screws in filling holes that I assume were left over from its former life as a Taxi) I showed the man what I had taken off the car and he charged me the princely sum of £5 :cheesy: result!

When I got home out comes the glove box (yes all of it) I'm starting to get good at this now! Before fitting I thought I would just plug it in to see what happened. Started engine and got 1 1/2 rotation clockwise! (I thought No not again) then pushed the circulation button and it did 1 1/2 rotation anticlockwise :D big relief. the next problem was fitting it back on as you have to get the half moon shaped cog in the right position which took several presses of circulation button and starting the engine until it looked about right. With the flap in the open position I managed to hold it in position while my mate started the car and pushed the circulation button. Big sigh of relief it worked. :P

My conclusion from this is that there must be some sort of torque limiter on this motor as when it is fitted to the car and working it only does about half a rotation but when there is no load it travels a lot further.

I hope this might help someone else out there.

I still need help with my rear wiper though anyone got any ideas

Cheers
fjbmw
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: circulation flap motors

Post by steve_earwig »

I reckon you're right - the control box can sense when the motor comes to the end of its travel, I found that on my one - disconnected it had far too much travel.

Btw I pushed it around to line it up with a 9 volt battery. WHich reminds me, it's packed up again :roll:

Sounds like a result anyway.

I don't think the BSI does stuff like that, maybe the relay's burned out :? Worth asking Pug?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.