"braking fault" message and STOP light coming on.

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

miniman
2.0 16v

"braking fault" message and STOP light coming on.

Post by miniman »

Right, Scenario:- Im driving along at any speed, turn a right hand corner and next thing I know, the speedo needle drops to zero, the STOP lamp comes on, and the fault message- "braking fault" comes on.
I turn off the ign, then back on and it dissapears for a wee while but comes back again too haunt me.
Any ideas as to the cause of this? Im well and truly stumped.

Ive had a fault message "ABS Fault", for a while now thats caused by a broken piece of brake shoe spring clip going in front of the sensor in the rear nearside drum. I know about this though.
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Oh dear, is it possible miniman that your front pads are getting low, or even the fluid level?

Why am I starting to dislike the BIS/ECU/Message Display
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
miniman
2.0 16v

GENUIS!!!

Post by miniman »

I will check em out this weekend, but that doesnt explain the speedo going to zero at exactly the same moment.
What I could do with, is a list of the fault messages and what they mean.
I trust that this info is in the manual that came with the car? This is the same manual that I dont have.
If anyone has a list of the fault messages, could they please help me out by listing them for me please?
I know that the coolant level has its own message, cos Ive already seen it.
Thanks for the help Welton, yer a star :D
Welly

Re: GENUIS!!!

Post by Welly »

miniman wrote: but that doesnt explain the speedo going to zero at exactly the same moment.
Heyyyyy, it's a Peugeot :lol:

Some owners have complained of random messages such as:

STOP - CAR ABOUT TO EXPLODE

TOTAL DEVASTATING LOSS OCCURED

HUGE GARAGE BILL ANTICIPATED

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

DO YOU REGRET BUYING THIS BRAND?

The list goes on............

Actually there's no information in the handbooks about any of the 'messages' would be good if someone can find a list.
Cars in my care:
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

I CHECKED THE PADS AND THE FLUID. BOTH ARE JUST FINE.
IM GONNA JACK IT UP AND CHECK EVERY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION AT THE WEEKEND. IM BEGINNING TO HATE THIS CAR AND ITS FAULTS.
I HAD A GOOGLE ON IT, BUT NO LUCK. I FOUND "CRUSHMY307" WEBSITE, AND ALSO,"PEUGEOTSUCKS.COUK"
HAVE A LOOK AT EM. GLAD THEYRE NOT MY CARS.
Welly

Post by Welly »

hehe....... you know I was going to put up a post about my Peugeot but decided against it in the end,

Basically, the 'Honeymoon Period' of ownership is well and truely over for me and is looking more like a bitter divorce.

I have said this before but the long lasting Peugeot 'Guts' of the car is too easily let down by all the other crap connected to it.

If I were to buy another it would be 2 years old (53/04) and I would only run it to 4 years old Max :|

It seems the D8 is far better for less faults :!:

PS I've just looked at those web sites :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cars in my care:
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

It seems that the way to go, is rip out all pugs wiring, and make your own engine management. Diesel motors dont need much in the way of leccy bits too make em run. It really gets on my t*ts how theres a new fault every week.
I must do something with it at the weekend.
I got real cheesed off with my Mini's wiring, and decided to rip it out and start again with my own design loom. Its never let me down since, but it wasnt really that complicated. :cheesy:
johndoe

Post by johndoe »

ive just looked at them there web sites ,good idea about crushing would love to do that to mine if i got paid enough to do it ,why he didnot buy merc first beats me , he thinks pugs bad wait till merc plays up cost three times more to repair, :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: