I know it's the wrong pug but...... HELP!! French electrics!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DaiRees
Site Admin

I know it's the wrong pug but...... HELP!! French electrics!

Post by DaiRees »

Right here's a strange one for you.

Driving the wifey's 206 last night along a duel carriageway, indicated - no indicators. Quick button jabbing and lever poking session confirmed that there were no indicators (or hazards), or wipers. Figured it must be a fuse so pulled off the road and straight into the car park of a nearby halfrauds. Found the appropriate fuses, pulled them out, all fine. Tried to re-start the car, turns over but won't fire. Called the RAC, sat around for 5 mins, tried to start her again, fires up, all electrical bits working again. Called the RAC again to cancel them and continued with our journey. Throughout the trip the indicators and wipers worked intermittently (i'm just glad it wasn't raining).

Arrived at ikea during one of the periods when things weren't working, remote locking is also affected so we locked the car in the old fashioned way and went inside, expecting that a bit of a rest would allow it to work. Half hour later we return to the car and the remote locking still isn't working, but it fired up first time. So we start the 25 mile journey home without indicators or wipers, but within a mile the central locking activated to indicate that everything was back, and it was! Came and went for the next 10 mins then seemed to settle down and behave itself for the rest of the journey. Been out to check it this mornig and it all seems fine.

It's never done this before and it may be "one of those things" that us pug owners take as part of the deal. Problem is I'm extremely nervous about letting my heavily pregnant mrs drive it around today in the pissing rain, and it's booked in for it's MOT at half 4 today (the car not the mrs!).

So any ideas?
Any common problems that you know of, dodgy connections etc?
Or does this car just not like being make to go to ikea in the evening?

Cheers
Dai
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I feel your 206 was protesting against everything IKEA, it was trying to protect you from the ensuing Wallet-Emptying you were about to receive.......Odd looking indoor plants, Tea Light candles, Kitchen impliments and the like.

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, that's a strange one and a Peugeot thing I suppose, unfortunately extremely difficult to narrow down until something actually does fail :|

I suppose you could quickly check the connectors to all the bulb holders, relays, fuses, maybe even the stalk switch itself.

Maybe try the Spare Key incase it's a transponder/immobiliser thing.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Well it behaved itself all day today, including an hour at the test station, so we're now in posession of a shiny new ticket.

Perhaps the gremlins are malicious wee buggers who just like to see car owners fret. Time will tell eh?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Can't say I've ever heard of this one Dai. On the 206cc forum, and along with other Peugeots they sometimes complain about indicators sticking on or not working at all, but can't find any posts where there's an explanation.

Co-incidence, but Deb's 206 had it's Mot. Only problem was the passenger headlight needed adjustment. No surprise really after the mess I made of it trying to change the poxy bulb!
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

had the the same thing happen to a friend who has a 206, its the bsi, Built in Sytems Interface, its a computer which controls almost all the electrics in a 206, but unless the problem re ocurrs or doesnt go away i wouldnt worry about it
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Hi James, would you be refering to the multiplexed models, where all the electrics are cinnected by a ribbon type cable and are all controlled centrally. If you are, Dai's wife's car is just before the muliplexed models so wouldn't be affected.
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

And my top 5 list of possible faults causing your problems....

Dodgy earth strap....
Dogy connector....
Dodgy earth point under dash...
Buggered Relay....
Faulty alarm module... (would explain indicators and central locking)

But unless you have a diagnostics machine and are able to recreate the problem, its something bound for the black book of faults unresolved.... like the knocking on my rear end ..... Grrrrrrr..... :D
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Good idea Niz. DAI, give us a shout, I've got a diagnostics machine. Supposed to work on all cars after 1998, but not on my brother's Golf. It works on Deb's Multiplexed 206, can still give it a go on yours.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

im 99% certain all 206's had a BSi even the really early ones, the later 206's were 100% mutiplexed with CAN comunication
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

UPDATE:

It's been misbehaving on and off yesterday but was fine this morning, so I took it to see Neil. Neil's diagnostic didn't find any fault codes, then after I got it home it died again and nothing we could do would make it work again, so out came mr RAC man.

He diagnosed a suspect "body control module" which I'm sure is just different terminology for the BSI, and basically said there's no point taking it anywhere other than the main stealers. He was all prepared to tow it to the dealer but more by luck than judgement he got it started, told me not to stall it and sent me straight there!! :shock:

Within a mile the indicators and wipers packed up again but I pressed on (driving though the rain without wipers, valiantly or stupidly :? ) knowing I should make the dealer about half hour before they close, then there was a traffic jam! :evil: Phoned ahead and begged someone to stay on for half an hour, which a very nice man agreed to, then passed the crash earlier than I though and arrived 5 past closing time :?

So the car's in and I'm expecting a phone call on Monday.... :cry: :|
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

....and it's back, £375. :evil:

They changed the BSI as predicted above (well done James 8) )

Tell you what though, I hate these electrical faults on modern cars! You get charged but you don't know what you've spent your money on. :frown:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:Tell you what though, I hate these electrical faults on modern cars! You get charged but you don't know what you've spent your money on. :frown:
*Ahem* I think you mean Peugeots :lol:

No, I know what your saying there, cars have got so much bloody crap connected to them now either for emissions or saftey that they not only weigh more but there is soooo much more to go wrong.

Even if you get a flat battery on most cars the air bag light comes on resulting in a trip to the stealer for a reset :roll:

Bring back carbs and rotor arms......oh wait no, on second thoughts :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work