Radio interference with heated rear window on

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

neildavies
3.0 24v

Radio interference with heated rear window on

Post by neildavies »

Since I got my car back (which is still stunning by the way), the weather has been worse and I'm having to use the heated rear windscreen every morning to clear the rain. When I do this, I get terrible interference on the radio, listening to what should be a strong signal from radio 1. It's happenning on lower ground, when the signal is weaker. Switch off the screen and it's all normal. The only other thing they did with the car was to re-seat the screen as it had a slight leak (not accident related, but did it anyway).

I honestly can't say if the car was like this or not before, and as I drive to work, getting closer to the mast, the problem clears, keeping switching on the screen when it goes off.

Is this a problem anyone else has?
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

the coupe has 2 aerials the little one on the roof and the roof itself,
when you turn the radio on it energises an amplifier for the aerial in the roof itself, as the rear window is so close this i would think that with age the rear window heating element has deteriorated and is starting to draw more current than normal and taking most of the power that would be used for the aerial amplifier and causing a weak signal
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems