HOWTO: Cigarette lighter removal

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

HOWTO: Cigarette lighter removal

Post by mjb »

I did wonder why the Haynes had this down as 3-spanners when it just said "push it out". It ain't easy unless you know how, hence this little howto.

Hope this helps someone, I spent bloody ages wondering how the hell they got it in when it was bigger than the hole!

Removal

1. Turn the ignition, aux, and headlights off!

2. Pop out the ashtray area by sticking a flat screwdriver between it and the gearstick gaiter and levering

3. Push the gearstick gaiter forwards to free it then pull it up over the gear knob. Push it into 1st so the lever's out of the way.

4. Underneath the cigarette lighter are two connectors. One is the main lighter +12v and earth, the other one is a single wire for illumination (yellow wire). Find the connector with 2 wires and pull down to disconnect it.

5. Find the connector with the single yellow wire and push it gently outwards from the centre of the socket. With any luck you should be able to push the metal barrel straight up and out now.

6. The orange plastic surround can now be pushed out at an angle and the connector detached

Cleaning

The important bit to clean is unfortunately the most awkward. If you have some strong cotton buds, I'd suggest soaking one in some strong solvent/alcohol-based cleaner. The bit in question is the little torx screw at the base of the socket. The screw holds pretty much everything together including the pins into the socket. You can unscrew it to clean it (mine was extremely manky and starting to rust) but it will be a royal pain in the arse to get it back together. If you've ever disassembled one of those cube-shaped mains splitters you'll know what I'm on about.

Replacing the bulb

1. Use a small screwdriver to lever the INNER metal contact out of the plastic surround

2. The bulb will fall out

3. Put the metal contact back in

4. Push the new bulb in from the top (ie. bulb contacts in first). It'll be tight but it will spring back slightly when it's properly in.

Reassembly

1. Push the yellow wire up through the hole in the console and attach it to the orange plastic surround.

2. With one hand underneath keeping the other wiring to the side, push the surround in. I chose to do this with the connector closest to the drivers seat for convenience and so I know where it is if I ever need to do this again

3. Push the other connector up through the plastic surround, attach to the barrel, then push the barrel back in. Note that the connector only goes in one way - it's slightly bigger than the barrel so it needs to line up with the little groove in the surround.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Who's been a busy boy then? :cheesy:

Good post !
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work