ECU Error P380 - Wastegate Solenoid Failure HELP!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gogs440

ECU Error P380 - Wastegate Solenoid Failure HELP!!!

Post by gogs440 »

My car has recently started going into limp home mode, have taken it to peugeot dealer twice but they say that there is nothing wrong. Eventually got fed up and took it to local auto electrics.

He plugged a computer into car and got the following message

P380 - Wastegate solenoid Fault "Circuit A"

Need help as to where I Can find this solenoid, as there is no mention of it in the Haynes manual, and when I asked the local Peugeot dealers they just said they didn't know anything about a wastegate solenoid.

HELP !!!!!!!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The solenoids are onthe bulkhead, there are two, one controls the turbo actuator (wastegate control) the other works the EGR valve.

Have a look here for more info viewtopic.php?t=1731&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

the reason pug cant find anything is because that fault is a 'p' code, and peugeot cant and aren't supposed to be able to read them

but p380 is Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
not Wastegate solenoid Fault "Circuit A"

does the car still pull as well as it should?
do you have any cold start problems?
does the car take an abnormal amount of time to warm up?
does the heating take a long time to become hot?
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
gogs440

Post by gogs440 »

Took Car back to the autoelectrics today, he plugged the computer in and had a look, 2 error codes come up

1. P0243 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction.
2. P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit Malfunction.

He reset the computer and I took the car for another run down the road, error light came on and this time only the P0243 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction appeared in the error log.

Anyway to answer your questions, the car does not alawys pull as well as it should, sometimes it feels sluggish as if turbo is not responding.
Car always starts ok from cold.
No abnormal amount of time to warm up, and heating works fine, very quick to get into operation when set to de-mist mode.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

any blue or black smoke under acceleration?
could either be a turbo control solenoid failure, complete turbo failure or a faulty air mass meter
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
biggwales

Re: ECU Error P380 - Wastegate Solenoid Failure HELP!!!

Post by biggwales »

I recently changed my Glow Plugs due to a P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" error code. My car starts no proplem even from cold just haven't had fault code reset as i'm using free version of OBD Auto Doctor Lite. Later that day my car lost all power in 1st - 2nd but picks power up in 3rd - 5th but on came engine management light and came up with following code P0243 Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid "A" can anybody help???
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I believe the turbo and EGR solenoids are the same so try swapping them over and see what happens. Theoretically you should then have an EGR fault which as long as it doesn't throw an EML and limp mode you can live with.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

Indeed, the 110 will either have 2 or 3 electrovalves depending on whether you have the earlier HDI engine with an air doser or the later one which didn't have it. All 3 EV's are identical and interchangable, the left hand one is the turbocharger, middle one with blue plug is the EGR valve and the right one (mounted upright) is for the air doser if fitted.
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

I'm having the same problem... i also have the glow plug error for years and i don't give a damn about it because it's not giving any engine light on the dash .. but i'm also suffering from same problems as you sometimes the turbo isn't picking as it should, sometimes it's working good and then time to time i get the wastegate error which it was desapearing by itself after some circulations with the car but now i had to cleared it, but i'm also feeling a slightly hesitation on some revs ... probably MAF or Denso sensor on this one?

What about the wastegate error? It's probably a problem with the turbo itself?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, the wastegate error is normally an 'over boost' message, which is either the turbo is a bit sticky or the vacuum to the turbo is a bit slow/restricted. The turbos are generally good for many many miles, so I would suspect the vacuum to either the turbo solenoid ( the one with the grey plug ) or the vacuum from that solenoid to the turbo.

The hesitation is possibly the MAF, the Denso ( MAP ) rarely go wrong but can have false boost input from the short pipe that the Denso fits onto, these can get blocked with gunk.

P380 is a glow plug error, ignore it as glow plugs not needed on a 406 Hdi unless you are in the North Pole....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

I suspect the hesitation comes from the map sensor because it was "fixed" with a plastic tube since the accident, or maybe i also need to change the air filter because the whole casing was replaced from a used 406 and it came with the air filter in it and i didn't changed it...

I will try disconnecting the maf sensor and see what happens...

Also the engine have now 206k kilometers and it didn't had any sort of revision regarding the turbo, so it could be the turbo, but how do i check if it's something with the vacuum system?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Hi again, sorry for the double post but is also to bump the topic. Got some info regarding this issue.

After some playing with the map and maf sensor, got the conclusion that the maf sensor is not the problem because after disconnecting it the car became a bit slugish in response.

But as far as the Denso ( MAP ) sensor goes the story is different because of this ( yeah the garage that took care of the job after my accident made this #*!& with a freakin plastic tube glued or soldered on the sensor itself ):

and this:

EGR is cracked at top but i have it disable condition at ECU level ( made at a site where we put our ecu map and the site do all the magic for you which i'm not remembering the name of the site lol ) also never know if it really is disabled ( does anyone knows how to confirm? ) anyway i have also blanked the egr system.

An IMPORTANT thing i have noticed was the boost going throw the turbo when i looked at the TORQUE aplication on the Smartphone, even in idle when i rev a bit like 2200 2400 rpm the turbo pressure went something like 2.1 PSI isn't this too high? I think i have to check it again.

Also an important thing is that the EML light normally comes up when i want to rev it quickly to overtake a car or something... but strange enough is that it only happens in motorway...

Thank you again for everything.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Well spotted with the MAP sensor. I should have remembered this, but my bro's old 110 had almost exactly the same problem after a front-end accident repair - the short rubber pipe was completely missing between the intercooler and the sensor. Once we cahnged the iontercooler, the EML stayed away.

The ecu works in mbar absolute pressure, (around 1000 mbar wih the engine stopped = atmospheric pressure). Maximum pemitted boost is (I think) 1.4 bar or 2400 mbar absolute, so it doesn't sound like yours is too high. Make sure youe MAP sensor is working without any possible leaks and see if the problem goes away.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

You mean that i should check if the leak is before the intercooler and the intercooler itself or the map sensor? how can i test for leak in the map sensor? Sorry i'm noob, but i guess i will have to go at the garage so they can sort this up .. i'm also experiencing some litle power leaks like a bit hesitating probably down to the map sensor or intercooler yet again.

Thank you for the help... will have to wait awhile i'm done wasting a lot of money in the car :(