406 aircon not working

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pigboy306
1.8 16v

Re: 406 aircon not working

Post by pigboy306 »

Loz good call on taking off the aux drive belt , although doesnt it drive the diesel pump too? Would it activate with engine off is the other option.

I connected Peugeot planet up set off the actuator test and there was no voltage coming down the wires , i presume one is -ve one is +ve? Thats how my multimeter was connected anyway!

So what i need to know is;
Wiring to compressor how does it work is it +ve -ve ?
Can peugeot planet activate the compressor? If so please confirm i was in the correct setting and should the engine be running or off?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Aux belt drives, Alternator, pwr steering Air con,
you dont need the engine running to check the compressor,using direct feed,
when theres no pwr to the compressor the front pulley stays in free wheel so you can turn that by Hand,
if theres pwr too it the clutch will ingage (lock up) then you wont be able to turn it by hand if you see what imean?
you carnt check it that way By hand with aux belt on, hence why imentioned taking belt off,
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

lozz wrote:Aux belt drives, Alternator, pwr steering Air con,
you dont need the engine running to check the compressor,using direct feed,
when theres no pwr to the compressor the front pulley stays in free wheel so you can turn that by Hand,
if theres pwr too it the clutch will ingage (lock up) then you wont be able to turn it by hand if you see what imean?
you carnt check it that way By hand with aux belt on, hence why imentioned taking belt off,
Loz Bonzer advice there (Rolf Harris theme since he got his Bafta fellowship).

I think i will leave engine off, saves getting hands in moving belts!

There are two wire too the compressor which one does what?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

just unplug the conector from a/c compressor first pull the wire so you can work with it with engine running
A/c switched on and get your multimeter on it,

also make sure the conectors are clean sometimes they can go rusty and not make a contact,
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

I unplugged the joining a bit further up. Does the wire unplug at the compressor too?
My multimeter is showing no reading I tried a resistance test to work out which one is earth but neither gave a good indication of earth.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Yes, It shouid unplug at the compressor,
if no power there and at the low preasure switch as above mentioned it couid be B.s.i related,

iirc the wires are Black and green at the compressor side,
Black neg, and the other 12V
air con.jpg
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Took the plug off pressure switch one contact has 12v the other 3 have nothing. There is no volts at compressor supply.
pigboy306
1.8 16v

NEW FINDINGS ON AIR CON NOT WORKING!

Post by pigboy306 »

Tonight i had a nose in the fuse box... hang on whats that i see is it a 15amp fuse n the BSI disconnected? Why it is ... obtain spare from motorbike (note to self must replace!) connect up and pop new fuse blows. Hmmmm i thinks is that compressor at fault? I connect up a continuity checker buzzzzzz there is a short between the compressor wires . There s no visible damage to the wire so it must be inside... any clues or is it off to Flea bay to ride the roulette wheel of second hand compressors?
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

lozz wrote:Yes, It shouid unplug at the compressor,
if no power there and at the low preasure switch as above mentioned it couid be B.s.i related,

air con.jpg
Lozz my air con pump doesnt have the plug like on your pic, the wires on mine appear to go straight in.

it looks more like this one in this advert http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-XS ... 126wt_1163
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

pigboy306 wrote:
lozz wrote:Yes, It shouid unplug at the compressor,

air con.jpg
Lozz my air con pump doesnt have the plug like on your pic, the wires on mine appear to go straight in.

it looks more like this one in this advert http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-XS ... 126wt_1163
Not sure there tbh mate,
all the ones ive seen worked on have disconected at the compressor side,
the last 406 one itook off just unplugged
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Any ideas how the pipes disconnect then? Or what could have shorted out?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

You wouid be best to go through the wiring check it all,
as youve previously mentioned, fuse was Missing and it was Blowing it, so as a guess i wouid say wiring fault,
As of the Compressor theres not much you can do with them, but iwouidnt condemn that just yet -go through the wiring first,
You need a wiring diagram idealy , (if the fault lies within the Bsi iwouid leave that alone, its abit of a wasp hive)

as of the A/c pipes on the compressor theres one bolt holding that in place iirc its a Female Tx socket to remove it
the pipe then just pulls off the compressor with little persuation, the seals shouid be discarded and replaced with new ones before refitting A/c pipes.
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

I have disconnected supply to compressor so will put in new fuse and check
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

New fuse in BSI and it doesnt blow so i imagine that there Aircon Compressor is the culprit.
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Ok, got a new compressor, well one from the scrappy. I have connected the lead to the wiring loom and then connected up Peugeot Planet.
I went into BSI acutuator tests and selected Aircon Compressor test this indeed actuates the clutch.
However through the vent controls the compressor still wont kick in... any thoughts I have attached the parameter measurements.