406 speedo cluster instrument panel wrong milage!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

just_gotwicked

406 speedo cluster instrument panel wrong milage!

Post by just_gotwicked »

I've got a 1.9 td mach1 406 and it's got an analog clock in the place of a rev counter, i bought a cluster which included a rev counter, installed it but now my milage reads 196,000 instead of 69,000! Bit of a discrepancy! Anyone any idea how I rectify this?!!?!
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Isnt the mileage reported by the speedo cluster rather than the ECU? How many miles has the previous car done? I bet you it's 196k :p
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Try asking 'Blue406' on here, you might have to PM him though, I'm sure he knows how to sort it because he's changed his clocks before, something about swapping the guts over from your old mileometer.

He's very helpfull and I'm sure won't mind talking you through it :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

I've got a 1.9 td mach1 406 and it's got an analog clock in the place of a rev counter, i bought a cluster which included a rev counter, installed it but now my milage reads 196,000 instead of 69,000! Bit of a discrepancy! Anyone any idea how I rectify this?!!?!
a few weeks ago, while i wait my car get washed at the gas station ... i read a magazine with exactly Peugeot 406 'mis-reading' milage article (local magazine).

4 people has been reported that their vehicle mis-read the milage after replacing some of their vehicle parts, one of them caused by incompatible spark plugs. Pug's ECU seems doesn't work well with spark plugs that doesn't have resistor, where even in some cases the spark plug's resistor does not compatible with the ECU.

the article described that the 'signal' sent to the vehicle trip computer is wrong, causing the trip computer to store incorrect trip.

there are also some other reasons, but i forgot the rests. the only way to 'reset' back your milage is buy the new 'trip computer' unit from pug which will cost you a lot !!. none of the people reported in the magazine replace it because it is too expensive and they just face the fact that their car runs '822.229' Kilometers in 2 years.

but then again, you might want to check with local pug service center to make sure the problem. i might be wrong too.
Cars, Computers, Chicks, 3C for a complete life. add a number 6 between them then you get double pleasure. hahaha!