Economy mode and being towed

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

V6Exec
3.0 24v

Economy mode and being towed

Post by V6Exec »

Had a coolant leak that resulted in getting a 30 mile rigid bar tow after the usual wait for recovery.

With the rigid bar tow the ignition was into the running position to ensure the steering was unlocked.

Half way through the tow super economy mode was activated - the BSI determined that luxuries like hazard warning lights/indicators could be disabled. Oddly enough electric windows have a higher priority than the hazard warning lights.
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Economy mode and being towed

Post by Welly »

I had that once, being towed through a City Centre in the dark and ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE came up :roll: I daren't try the ignition again in case the steering lock came in and I couldn't steer. Waited until we were at some lights and reset the ignition.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

What is the reason for ECONOMY MODE? Can it be low power in battery? The car was not used for 4 weeks but ignition is fast, not like low energy.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

All it does is switch off the gadgets like stereo, lights etc to save the battery if the car detects a drain - it's supposed to stop the battery going flat if the radio or lights are left on.
The seats and windows still work, either for safety or the fact you are sat in the car to use them, so therefore aware of economy mode turning on.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
arber333
1.8 16v

Post by arber333 »

486 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 pm What is the reason for ECONOMY MODE? Can it be low power in battery? The car was not used for 4 weeks but ignition is fast, not like low energy.
Usually ECO mode comes on if battery is lower than 12V. Did you have the lights on at the time? They consume quite a lot, maybe 350W + what systems you had on at the time.
Steering lock does not come on if you have a key in the lock.

See here how i managed to hack it :). It is not really a hack, you just need to bring one wire the same potential as the + pole of the battery. This starts two relays under the dash that provide power for interior. Basicaly car thinks alternator is working.
One could install a switch and turn this on at will. Say for some long waits on the parking lot or cleaning the car with radio on...
Yes downside is you may drain your battery that way.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24902&hilit=Peugeot ... 15#p252683
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Economy mode can be deactivated by PP2K by using 'showroom mode', or you could simply start the engine.....
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

My rear bonnet was replaced and I bother for potential bad wiring => some electric leak. In two cases the message was shown after long time of open doors/bonnet. But usually this is not a problem because lights are turned off after about 5 min and rear lamp is only one. The good explanation is if the battery is low after long time of non-working engine and lights become critical consumer. On the other hand the starter worked without ponderosity after the message.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yes, the economy mode prevented the battery getting to low voltage to start the car - this is its job 8)

It is possible to flatten the battery by simply opening and closing the doors over a few hours ( or testing electric seats :oops: ) because these are not affected by economy mode....