kEY FOBS!!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gsxbozzy

kEY FOBS!!!

Post by gsxbozzy »

Hi ive just got a 406 exec, the keyfob is buggered, big button missing, can i just buy a new key fob, they sell them on ebay for 17.99 and transfer my key bit over.

can i then get it programmed how easy is that...? its the rf type if that helps.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Big button is missing? If it's just the plastic you can do what I did - buy a new key off eBay, prise it apart and just replace the half of the cover with the buttons on. If you have a multimeter to hand, might be worth seeing if the new batteries have more power than yours while you're at it :)
gsxbozzy

key fob

Post by gsxbozzy »

Big button plastic is missing but so is the actual button on the circuit board!! so i would need a new board as well.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get a new key from ebay and transplant the button. Otherwise I suspect it may be a dealer jobbie to re-code the key (if indeed they will do it - they'd probably prefer you to buy a new one at some ludicrous price)
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

Hi,

the Later RF keys(99 ish on) are made of four main parts:

1) the blade (metal bit you put in the lock)

2) the case

3) the RF remote locking circuit board

4) the imobaliser chip (located to top half of casing)

You should be able to buy a key from ebay keeping 1,4 (move into new casing) and bottom half of 2 from your key, then add the top half of 2 and 3 to they key. I believe that the remote locking can be programmed to the car with out a visit to the steelers, through a "magic" sequence. I can't remember the sequence i but i think its written down somewhere in the forum.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
gsxbozzy

Post by gsxbozzy »

Hi again ive transplanted a button onto key fob it lights up but wont operate, i rang peugeot and they want 120 quid!!!! for new one. there must be a cheaper option.

HELP!!!!!!

P.S its a 1996 406 with a rf key.
richyb83
1.8 8v

Post by richyb83 »

Hello, I've been looking into getting a duplicate key as I only have one for my 406 and was shocked when I spoke to peugeot as they wanted £110 all in. I did a bit of research and saw the Ebay route of buying a blank blade and a used RF key and putting them together and having it cut. The research also turned up a guide on how to reprogram the fob yourself. I am not sure if this will work but its worth suggesting. This is what is said:

1. Turn the Ignition switch to the accessory position using the key without the remote plip attached.

2. Hold the Plip key close to the central locking receiver mounted in the roof console.

3. Press the large plip button and then the small plip button on the remote.

4. Repeat for second Plip key if required.

5. Turn the ignition OFF.

6. After 5 seconds the Plip should now operate.

Thats your lot, let me know if you have any luck with it.