Cruise Control not working...so PP/Lexia??? SOLVED

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drjonts
1.8 8v

Cruise Control not working...so PP/Lexia??? SOLVED

Post by drjonts »

Hi everyone,

Had my 53 plate 406 110 HDi estate for over 6 months and it's running fine generally and has only needed tyres and rear stabiliser links thus far. :wink:

However, since getting the car, the cruise control hasn't worked (although I drove it when my Dad-in-law owned it and it did then but I don't know when it stopped working as my Dad-in-law never used it!). So I have checked the clutch and brake switches and all seems fine there. Steering cowling off and removed the cruise stalk, opened it up and the switches all seem to connect to the relevant cable tracks when depressed. The rev counter and speedo work fine so I assume all speed transducers are operating in the car. Everything else electrical seems to work (except for one side of the horn push and I'll get the air bag off and have a look at the contacts in there). I've tried to re-set the BSI with the shunt fuse removal process but nothing changed.
When I rotate the on/off switch on the cruise stalk, there are no audible or visual indications (light or message on the trip/computer screen) that anything is happening and I wonder if the signals aren't getting from the switch and out through the COM2000 unit behind the wheel or if power/signal is reaching the stalk. Can one bit of a COM2000 just go wrong like that? (mines a non ESP car) Could the car have "forgotten" that it has cruise...if someone had connecetd it up to check something else (I believe it went to Peugeot for diagnosis of a glow plug failure at one point but don't know if cruise worked bothe before and after that)? Is there anything further down from those points that would cause the cruise system not to switch on?

So I think I am now at the limit of testing what I can...without...PP or Lexia. Would someone knowledgable please tell me if it's worth my while just heading to fleabay and getting one? How does the cost of it compare to a stealership putting the car on their machine? Do you think it would pinpoint the problem if I got it connected up? Is there someone here in deepest darkest Devon that has a PP/Lexia I could try it out with? I would welcome recommendations about what I need to buy / what I need in a kit to help me interrogate the car. I appreciate any advice on which diagnosis system to aim for and what the problem could now be.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Jonty
Last edited by drjonts on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Re: Cruise Control not working...so PP/Lexia???

Post by grasmere59 »

Just a note,when the cruise is set to the "on" position on the stalk there is no visual or audible signal to say it is on,seems strange but it must be a French thing,i found it confusing when i first used the cruise on mine. :?
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

grasmere59 wrote:Just a note,when the cruise is set to the "on" position on the stalk there is no visual or audible signal to say it is on,seems strange but it must be a French thing,i found it confusing when i first used the cruise on mine. :?
Ahh - well that's one thing I was wondering about. Thanks for confirming that there's nothing to say it is on and working then. Cheers, Jonty
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

Not trying to teach your granny to suck eggs but do you know how to engage the cruise?,the cars got to be in 4th or 5th above 30mph (i think) and then you press the (+) on the stalk,apologies if you already know that.
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

Think I've tried pushing and holding all buttons on that stalk at some point whilst at speed in 4th and 5th... but the speed never seems to set - it just slows down when I release the throttle :?
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

On my 2000(W) HDI, you can mess around with the cruise stalk all you want....

If you haven't first switched on the cruise system with the switch on the lower part of the dashboard..,
to the right of the steering wheel.., then nothing at all will happen.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

I think on a 53 plate all the controls including the on/off are on the left hand stalk,well they are on mine .
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

grasmere59 wrote:I think on a 53 plate all the controls including the on/off are on the left hand stalk,well they are on mine .
Yup - all controls (including on off rotatational switch) on left hand stalk that slides into the COM2000 unit behind the wheel.

Jonty
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

The way mine works is that once the rotary switch is "on" the end button is the disengage and resume speed function,the bottom switch is the decrease speed function and the top switch is the engage and speed increase function.When i first got my car the cruise didn't work and it turned out to be the clutch switch had come out of adjustment and the car thought the clutch was depressed as the plunger on the switch was not fully pushed home by the clutch pedal.
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

That's what I would expect the buttons to do on the left stalk but it really doesn't matter what I press - it won't engage. I've tested and checked that all the pedal switches are closed with the pedals up so that should not be the issue (unless wiring is broken rather than a switch). I stripped the cruise stalk and all the buttons on there connected to the flexi wiring tracks and connectors as they should. So I'm not sure what is at fault. Could be COM2000 or some signal about speed etc. that is the issue. Or it's been fiddled with at some point when in for some work :roll:

Think I may have to interrogate the car...so if anyone can recommend what I need to get in terms of Peugeot Planet 2000 or Lexia 3 and the best software version to get it sorted I'd be grateful. I see quite a few on fleabay but not sure how many leads I need and the best one to get.

Cheers,

Jonty
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Well, i will use this topic because i have a similar problem ...i have a 2000 may Estate(ON/OFF switch is mounted on dash) and sometimes cruise doesn't work when i first start the car and it will not work until i stop the engine for a while. Another situation is when it's working and i need to brake or press the cluch, after that it wont engage again ....

So is this 2 problems related ?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

PP2000 is the next obvious step, if you add your location someone nearby with one, may offer to help.

Failing that check the setup of the two brake pedal switches - they must operate separately & in the correct order or it won't engage.

The 'main brake pedal switch', (which works the stop lights), must close after the 'redundant brake pedal switch', (which is only linked to the ecu), as you press the pedal. The opposite has to happen as you release the pedal. Very easy to check with PP2000, but I think not impossible without.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

Doggy wrote:PP2000 is the next obvious step, if you add your location someone nearby with one, may offer to help.

Failing that check the setup of the two brake pedal switches - they must operate separately & in the correct order or it won't engage.

The 'main brake pedal switch', (which works the stop lights), must close after the 'redundant brake pedal switch', (which is only linked to the ecu), as you press the pedal. The opposite has to happen as you release the pedal. Very easy to check with PP2000, but I think not impossible without.
Cheers Doggy.

I can stick a meter across the terminals of the 'cruise' switch and get the missus to watch the brake lights to see if all is in sync.

So the brake lights should illuminate after the redundant switch closes on pressing the pedal. Does the cruise system / ECU / BSI check for this order of switches when the pedal is depressed for the first time on a journey and if wrong stores something that says don't allow cruise to engage?

Is the switch order all PP2000 will do for me on cruise checking or would it also give indication of any other comms or system fault I might have? Any advice on version / kit to purchase? Ebay easiest?

For info, I'm in Devon - near-ish to Exeter in case. :wink:

Thanks again for the advice.

Jonty
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

I think it does store some kind of error ... because when it happens to me i can't engage cruise again...which is a pain in the arss ...
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

RayneR wrote:I think it does store some kind of error ... because when it happens to me i can't engage cruise again...which is a pain in the arss ...
Perhaps you and I both need to check the switches and the order in which they trigger. On my car, I think the red switch on the brake pedal is the 'redundant' cruise switch and the white one is the brake light switch.

There is also a switch on the clutch pedal which must be working and installed correctly to allow cruise to work. Best check that too.

Cheers,

Jonty