glow plug failure

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Johannes
1.6 8v

Re: glow plug failure

Post by Johannes »

Jimmy, my father's 98 2.1 has just presented with same symptoms. No glowplug light on dash - wont start. He's had an autoelectrician round who has said that the wiring loom to the ecu has signs of overheating. But in the meantime has suggested we try a replacement glowplug relay and ambient temp sensor as these could be causing the problem. I'm going over Saturday to take a nosey. Just wondered what the outcome was on your situation? Ta.
Johannes
1.6 8v

Post by Johannes »

If I'm right the coil on the relay is energised by 12V across terminals 1 & 5. Checked continuity on these and found open circuit. Therefore am assuming coil is open circuit, Applied 12V across 1 & 5 but no connection across terminals 6 & 7. Therefore am looking to source replacement relay. Any suggestions for suppliers?
Johannes
1.6 8v

Post by Johannes »

Update to my previous message.

Have ordered a replacement Relay Control - a Durite 0-133-19 which is a replacement for the Cartier PSA 9625203680 OEM Relay Control.

However, looking at the Durite Catalogue PDF it looks like my tests were not valid as it looks like there's some sort of power transistor used to switch the power to the relay coil. Measuring across 1 & 5 looks like measuring across two connections on the transistor. Lord knows actually what the reading should be? It looks very much like a black box that you cannot diagnose?

Also, looks like i wouldn't expect any reading across 6 & 7 (identified as 8 and 9 on the Cartier unit).

The problem is pointing to the relay. We'll soon know...

Does anyone know if there are typically know 'good' reading across any terminals?
Johannes
1.6 8v

Post by Johannes »

Hi Jimmy foo, just wondered if it was just the glowplug relay or something else.
My father's 98 2.1td has similar symptoms excepting that there was also some burned out wires on the loom that goes across the front of the engine. Have replaced burned out sections of wire and am to replace relay this weekend. Wondered if your was just the relay?

Ta. J
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Errr, pin 5 is the warning lamp:

Also http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/p8c.shtml and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

Pin 1 - 85/31 - relay coil -/return to battery- or direct to ground (earth)
Pin 2 - S? It doesn't look like it's used anyway
Pin 3 - 86/15 relay coil +/battery+ from ignition switch ("Ignition")
Pin 4 - 50 - starter control (switched live from ignition - start)
Pin 5 - L (glowplug light)

30 from battery+ direct
87 Common contact (output to glowplugs)

I suspect if you connect a positive to pin 3 and an earth to pin 1 the contacts will close for 7 seconds, however I'm not exactly sure if the relay needs to see anything else to be happy (is this S really not used?) Or you could check the feeds to see what you're getting on them.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Johannes
1.6 8v

Post by Johannes »

Steve, thanks for the diag. Fitted Durite replacement and new air temp sensor. Bingo fired first turn of the engine after preheat. Better than before. Auto electrician has replaced some damaged wiring & interestingly cut #2 or #4 - suspect it's #2 cos as you note, it doesn't look like it does anything. No other side effects noted.

Would recommend that if anyone suffers from similar symptoms they check the wiring across the loom going across the front of the engine and the integrity of the wires going to the air temp sensor.