BSI air con relay replacement.

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Malc
2.0 16v

BSI air con relay replacement.

Post by Malc »

Will go for brevity and hope the illustrations speak for themselves.
Relay Ripca 2032 complete with loom and a smidging of soldering expertise required.
Remove and disconnect the BSI and free up all rpt all the plastic lugs (my method as illustrated) and gently prise off the BSI lid.

The relay is directly opposite the middle and lower vent slots and schematic (taken from another site) as shown directly below..

It is essential at this point to test the relay for contact failure before proceeding!!

The next step requires gentleness and patience. Gently push a small screw-driver or similar between the relay and pcb heating the solder terminals at the same time with the soldering iron. Eventually the relay will prise downwards until it is free from the pcb. Once free crush the old relay to remove from the space and clear any remaing debris.

Place the Ripca 2032 relay as shown threading the wires through the hole conveniently provided....

Wire the relay to the solder terminals as shown.

Relay wiring information. I chose this relay as others have a diode across the relay coil which will require wiring to the correct polarity.

Voila air-con up and running as new!!!!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: BSI air con relay replacement.

Post by Doggy »

Very good how to, we'll done. 8)

Never had to do one myself, but if I did, I would certainly opt for mounting it as you have, not bring a soldering maestro.

Do you know whether the original relay had an integrated diode? (If so, you really need to add one to protect the relay driver from the reverse voltage spike de-energising the coil generates).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Indeed, very nicely done sir :cheesy: I've copied it over to the KB for future generations to marvel at :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Thanks Steve a pleasure to repay all the info the site has provided me with since joining.
Doggy thanks for your posting and your comment on driver protection noted.
The original relay (now no longer available) has no diode hence my choice of Ripca 2032. See datasheet pdf from link below.
If my old 50's electrical theory is correct when the relay is de-energised there is a back EMF which delays the action of the relay somewhat and the reason for the diode (when such magical solid state devices came along) is to discharge this back EMF instantly.

http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/downl ... how=inline
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I just copied the reply to the KB (for completeness :cheesy: )
Malc wrote:(now no longer available)
I thought for a moment there that you can't tell if the old one had a diode on it because it no longer existed - you'd taken out your fury and frustration on it with a big hammer and it no longer had a physical presence in this sphere of reality :oops:

Ooh, before I forget, is the car semi-mux or full-mux? It looks like it's full from the other thread and I only thought this happened to semis.

Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

The car does not have Com2000 so assume semi-mux.. One of those betwixt and between 2001 models!
If you open the pdf file in the data sheet link above and scroll down to the original relay schematic you'll see no diode but I did point out in bold that before going down the road of original relay removal/destruction check the contacts for continuity.
ie de-energised across common and NC and energised across common and NO. (0 and +12V terminals and middle top respectively in the pic with red ink schematic).
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Do you know where i can find this relay + wire harness ? thank you

edit: Found on ebay 9,90 including postage.. a bit expensive for a simple relay but i hope i will get my air con compressor up and running again :D i will ask my uncle to help me with the removal and appliance of the new relay since he have more experience with electronics.
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Need a bit of help with the wiring connection because the photos aren't clear let me get this straight:

yellow -> bottom

Blue -> middle

green -> top

red -> right

Black -> left

Is this correct? MY wiring loom have different colors so i will memorize the positions.
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't think the wiring loom has much to do with it, the only wiring there is for the relay which presumably comes with the connector for the relay.

Just figure out which wire does what on the relay and match it up with the diagram in the 3rd picture. Helpfully there's even a diagram on the relay.

Scream if it still doesn't make sense!

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

i guess i didn't explained correctly, what i meant was the wires on the relay plug because it's not clear from the photo that wire connects to what pin in the relay plug.

So the positions is has what i described ?

Thank you
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

So you're just checking the relay is wired the same? That was my worry, that'd you'd wire it up and then find it's wired differently and destroy your BSI.

I can never remember which terminal is which on a relay, probably because I seldom have to work with them. I have to work it out every time with a meter or whatever, in preference to trusting any diagram. This is useful - http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

Looks like this Ripca 2032 is laid out type B

yellow -> bottom - can't see this but, by process of elimination it's the other coil feed pin 86 - check

Blue -> middle - pin 87a normally closed - check

green -> top - coil pin 85 - check (it doesn't actually matter as there's no diode)

red -> right - the load pin 87 normally open - check

Black -> left - 12v feed pin 30 - check

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Hmm i think you have swap two there..

black --> pin 87

red --> pin 30

has you can see the black wire pin is vertical which corresponds to the 87 because the relay is placed on another position has you can see from the other picture i have put my relay on the same position and now i know where i have to solder on the board :)

Thank you for the help... i'm waiting for my wiring loom to arrive it's taking too long as normally should coming from the UK :(
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

See? You understand it better than wot I duz :oops:

Malc
2.0 16v

Post by Malc »

Not sure what you refer to as wiring loom RayneR...
My relay came complete with plug and wiring and all I did was solder it to the BSI as shown.
Don't expect it to be too easy for non-electronically inclined but it can be done.
If your relay plug is not complete with wiring suggest you get the Ripco connection diagram on your particular relay to avoid any error.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Hi, mine didn't came with cable so i bought one apart please see the images under so i wont connect the relay in bad position... i think that the only difference in my wires are :

The yellow cable is a rose one... everything else is the same am i right? See pics:

Thank you