Sidelamp Bulb Change Problem

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Sidelamp Bulb Change Problem

Post by Rolebama »

I am trying to replace a blown sidelamp bulb. I dropped the black plastic cover out of the way, and found a white plastic lever attached to the what I believe to be the sidelamp bulb holder. I tried to move it, but it just sort of 'springs', and has no real feel of solidity to it. I can't get my fingers in to get hold of the bulb holder properly. Have I got the right bit, if so which way do I turn it to free it off? Thank you.
Car is D8.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Sidelamp Bulb Change Problem

Post by jonsowman »

Quoting myself from a previous thread :cheesy:
The D8 sidelights are an interesting engineering design decision.

Take the full beams cover off and disconnect the wiring. Then remove the full beam bulb to give yourself more room. Now grab the white L shaped piece next to the full beam bulb holder and, looking at the rear of the headlight unit, turn it one quarter turn clockwise for the n/s or anticlockwise for the o/s (so the end of the white handle moves towards the bottom of the headlamp unit). Now pull the handle backwards towards the rear of the car and do a bit of wiggling to get it out into the open air so you can replace the bulb.

This is definitely doable with the headlight unit in place and without and further disassembly, and in true Haynes style, refitting is the reverse of removal :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jonsowman wrote:an interesting engineering design decision.
Never heard that being said about PSA designers before... :lol: :lol: :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

Thank you Jonsowman. I shall have a more determined go later.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
KrisB
1.8 8v

Post by KrisB »

I didnt know you had a 406 ...
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

Bought it at the beginning of December. I was having problems with the injector pump on the 306, (non-running), and whilst trying to sort it, the rear suspension collapsed! (Luckily not driving!) I decided to call it a day on that car.
1998 2.1 GLX TD