Recommend a Contact Cleaner

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Recommend a Contact Cleaner

Post by Welly »

Can anyone recommend an Electrical contact cleaner spray?

I've got a two-pin plug on the Volvo that connects to the external temperature sensor, I say "connects" :roll: and someone recommended squirting the bastard with contact cleaner. I've spotted some WD-40 stuff that says it's non-conducting and dries quick but is that what you do? just squirt both halves of the connector and jobs a good'un?

BTW my car thinks it's +2deg C today and leaves the Climate Control in a right two-and-eight especially with the sunlight and the cabin being as hot as a Sauna.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Recommend a Contact Cleaner

Post by jonsowman »

If the contact is quite chunky and/or not high current I'd just file both sides with a fine file or some wet & dry. You only need to get rid of the surface corrosion (which is non-conducting).

For finer connections / if you need high current and want good surface planarity / the connection is actually dirty (rather than corroded), Maplin & the like do a cheap spray can of switch cleaner which will do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-switch ... 00ml-n62an
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Welly

Post by Welly »

It's a bit of a twat to get access to this connector, I can just unplug it and just about turn it to face me, that's why I thought a squirty-can might cover the job. I can't see me getting both my hands in there with these filing instruments of which you speak. Even though I happen to have inherited a rather nifty set of said filing instruments. Incidentally am I not at risk of shorting something out if I did poke about with a metal file?
Cars in my care:
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Ah I see, in which case if you can apply a bit of switch cleaner and then plug/unplug the connector a few times that's going to be a good starting point.

Since the connector is two pin, the sensor is likely to be a thermistor, which is just a resistive element. With the connector disconnected, shorting across the sensor side of the connector will cause no problems. Shorting the vehicle side of the connector shouldn't cause any problems since the input stage to the microcontroller (or whatever) will be high impedance. However, for peace of mind, might as well disconnect the battery first.

Don't spray too much on and give it a few minutes to evaporate before applying power again, just to be on the extra safe side.

Do you know that it's the connector that's at fault rather than the sensor itself?
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Like Jon says I reckon the sensor has gone fut, my V40 read about 20c over until I changed the sensor.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
runner1
1.8 8v

Post by runner1 »

Regarding terminals, you should be careful with wet and dry on contacts as they are often plated with a protective layer and removal of this will leave the cheaper metal below to deteriorate quicker. Get some Servisol Super 10, however WD-40 is not the demon people make out for electrical contacts!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I found that WD40 works better than a proprietary switch cleaner, at least it did on radio and TV volume controls. I used this in preference to anything else before I retired as a TV engineer. The only problem is that it dries out almost completely so leaves no lubricant, so on switches a small amount of light oil applied afterwards could improve things, 3 in 1 or similar would suit.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

The sensor is not faulty, there's been a lot of talk on the Volvo Forum (barring the arguments) where folk have changed the sensor, spliced-in wires, heat-shrink, removing door cards and the like only to find it was the contacts in the connector. All the door wiring plugs in at at the A-pillar, I've actually got the early manufactured version "A" which is best. After a while they "improved" the wiring to version "B" which is sh*t in every department, something Ford suggested apparently, but that guy took early redundancy and now lives in Anglesey with two dogs.
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welly wrote:The sensor is not faulty, there's been a lot of talk on the Volvo Forum (barring the arguments) where folk have changed the sensor, spliced-in wires, heat-shrink, removing door cards and the like only to find it was the contacts in the connector. All the door wiring plugs in at at the A-pillar, I've actually got the early manufactured version "A" which is best. After a while they "improved" the wiring to version "B" which is sh*t in every department, something Ford suggested apparently, but that guy took early redundancy and now lives in Anglesey with two dogs.
I think you'll find that it's only one dog, plus some sheep. There's a goldfish too but I hardly think that counts. Really, you should get your facts straight before you make such ludicrous statements!!!

Ooops, sorry, slipped into Volvo forums mode for a second there... :oops: :roll:

Carry on.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I use either naplins own brand contact cleaner or WD40 just brought out a contact cleaner which is sh*t hot!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Welly

Post by Welly »

I am asking for advice on a product I DO NOT need your pointless drivel taking up my valuable time, further more....oh hang on :cheesy:

As you were :P
Cars in my care:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I think you were rather harsh there Welly, Sam was only trying to help! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

By the way, I've got an aerosol can of RS Contact Cleaner, it was liberated from an unnamed educational establishment (not by me I might add, I ain't no tea-leaf!) about 20 years ago. Still does the job. :?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The Radiospares stuff we used to have in the '50s was pretty well neat carbon tetrachloride - outlawed now I believe but it worked well though. :)

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Now, play nicely everyone.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)