radio has power, but no sound

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: radio has power, but no sound

Post by GingerMagic »

Ha ha....
The MFD is the multi-functional display above the heater panel. It shows the clock, mileage etc but also shows the radio station. If this unit is removed then the radio doesn't work as they are connected somehow...
The BSI is the 'hub' for all the individual ecus to communicate together, but its a bit sensitive and French so occasionally it needs a reset.
I'll pop round with a working MFD display to eliminate it from the list of suspects....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

Thank Kelv. I'll come to you. After this evening I'm free the rest of the week until Saturday.
Cheers
Millard
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

I've swapped over the amp that Kelv loaned me last night but still no joy.
Double checked the fuses too.
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

I'd half forgotten a conversion type kinda wiring harness thingy that I bought along with a fascia a few days back off ebay, so I put it in today with a cheapo radio I have and it works good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261529309122? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I was reluctant at first to lose the functionality of the control stalk on the steering column, but have just come to the conclusion that it's not worth any more of anyone's time trying to get the original radio working.
Also I wear hearing aids and the Bluetooth function on the replacement radio is great for me as it pumps sounds straight to my hearing aids if I want it. So a good result all round even though it's not what I set out to achieve.
Kelv I'll bring your spare amp over later in the week if that's OK, and if the radio is any good to you as a spare then you're very welcome to it.
Thanks for your trouble and your time guys, I really appreciate it.
Millard
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Okay, I was a bit worried at first when you said about an after market radio as some can cause problems with the wiring. If yours is working as it should then that's a good result.
Is it possible to post the brand and model of the new radio you have fitted so other members can look into it if the standard one packs up?
Kelv
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

Yeah of course, I didn't think of that.
It's here :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxtek-Blueto ... 2a44e6d7d0

Cheap as chips so If you're after a high end stereo then it might not be for you, But as I said, I wear aids so top notch stuff is wasted on me.

I got mine in Aldi's a few months back for my VW camper but it didn't work whilst on the move in that vehicle for some reason.
It cost me £25 as I think it was end of line.
There's a few very similar on ebay for around the 25-40 ish mark. I reckon they could be all the same inside, just badge engineered so to speak.
The spec is OK though for that kinda money,,, USB, Aux in, Bluetooth, and an SDI slot under the fascia. Oh and it does phone calls as well.

Millard
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

My car doesn't have a JBL amp but while I was configuring my replacement MFD to get it to acknowledge all the installed features (steering controls and cd changer) I managed to end up with a radio that powered on but didn't output any sound..

I cant remember the exact settings, and i may have ended up fixing it by doing a 'replacement parts' install :(

At the risk of spouting the obvious, check that is doesn't think it has an aftermarket radio installed Kelv...
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped