Starter motor replaced, car now goes, with problems!!

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

rupesmcd
1.8 8v

Starter motor replaced, car now goes, with problems!!

Post by rupesmcd »

Starter motor replaced. Car now starts, and drives, but it turns out that was the least of its problems! It had been lacking power for a month, and I was soon about to start some investigation, now our local mechanic has taken a look and more or less read the car its last rights!
Turbo problems- Turbo not kicking in, swirl flaps not opening, probably a leak in the system as apparently no pressure. Turbo oil seals apparently shot as oil getting into places it shouldn't and some white/blue smoke out the exhaust! Oh dear.
His appraisal of the performance was 'it's got no guts, it's as flat as a witches tit!!' :frown:
He speculated that a repair bill of 4 figures was in order to get it back to where it should be.
As such I'm going to have to draw a line- I work too much and have a young family, so doing the work myself is not an option- weekends are precious!
I'm open to offers for the car, located in Devon near Bovey Tracey.
MOT'd til August.
:(
2003 Peugeot 406 SE Estate 2.2HDi De-fapped and re-mapped
1988 Peugeot 205 GR 1.4 petrol, smells right.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Starter motor replaced, car now goes, with problems!!

Post by jonsowman »

The turbo and swirl flap problems are almost certainly connected and can be explained by a leak in the vacuum system, probably around a £30-50 fix for a new EV or actuator.

The turbo seals are more of an issue, but a replacement turbo seems to be around £100-150, Ade (ade1122) the Coupe breaker will be able to source one.

A 4 figure repair bill for the above two things is silly, I'd say more like £250 for parts + £ labour. No disrepect to your mechanic, but "a 4 figure repair bill" sounds like a quote from someone who doesn't know the intricacies/silliness of the DW12 vacuum system!

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't keep it, but if you let it go, you should have an accurate idea of the relevant costs.
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
rupesmcd
1.8 8v

Post by rupesmcd »

Thanks for that reply- i had suspected it may be the mechanic's lack of knowledge of the engine- he did say that the 2.2's were crap, and he always preferred the 2.0's- I think he maybe just didn't fancy doing the work (he got a price of £400 for a turbo).
I'll talk to another mechanic I know and see what he reckons if I got him a turbo.
Would be nice to put it right if possible!
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Turbos don't often fail on the 406 HDis in general, but too high exhaust back pressure is the #1 culprit when they do.
Last edited by jonsowman on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rupesmcd
1.8 8v

Post by rupesmcd »

No- the DPF is gone and I've been running the 180bhp map. I did drive around with the anti poll warning for a week or so before binning the DPF- probably around 18 months ago now.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

How serious is the oil seal leak? If you're not seeing any/much blue smoke and it's not losing appreciable quantities of oil between services then I wouldn't worry too much.

Fixing the vac system leak will give you back a perfectly drivable car. You can deal with the turbo seals later if/when they become a serious issue.