Air bag light.

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Buck347
1.6 8v

Air bag light.

Post by Buck347 »

Hi all, another common problem arose again today so I thought I'd share it and the fix.

Basically I had the airbag light come on again and the lcd said 'airbag fault'.

The cause of this was the connectors under the passenger seat (last time it was the drivers side) the wires on mine if I recall correctly are orange and blue.

My son moved the seat today and it came on. I turned the ignition off, moved the seat up/down (mine are electric) and that cured it.

To avoid any accidents I disconnect the battery after moving the seats back and into the best position to work on the wires. Then one at a time cut a wire and join it to the corresponding wire. To ensure a good connection I twist the wires then solder them.

There are two sets of these plugs under the seats, I belie e one I believe is the pretensioner and the other the airbag. I still don't know which is which so I cut off both plugs and re-solder the wires. Like I said one wire at a time so no mistakes are made.

Hope this helps.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Air bag light.

Post by Welly »

Yes that's certainly a good fix as the plastic connectors are renowned for giving poor connections at the contact pins, and like you say moving the seat flags the fault. Makes you wonder if the air bags would actually fire sometimes.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Yes, that's an effective cure.
Welly wrote: Makes you wonder if the air bags would actually fire sometimes.
They're a bit more likely to work when you apply full battery power instead of the micro-amps used to prove the continuity of the DETONATOR circuits, for some reason*.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Xarlitos
1.6 8v

Post by Xarlitos »

Thanks for the Tip Buck347,

My old pug as had all sorts of electrical issues, fortunatelly not the AirBag one (yet), so this will be extremelly usefull when that error appears (Yup, IT WILL appear, it wouldn't be French electrics if it didn't).