ECU fried...literally :/

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

ECU fried...literally :/

Post by CaptainJapseye »

1999 Hdi 110
I'm not sure how related these issues are, but in chronological order:

Couple of weeks ago car felt flat off the turbo under 2k or so, friend suggested giving maf sensor a clean, did so and it went into limp mode after refitting.
Replaced maf sensor, immediately out of limp and pulling well but with eml on - although this turned itself off after a few stop starts.

All good I thought.
Nope.
Went out last night, stopped at the shops, when I restarted the revs were stuck at 1200 on tickover and throttle gave no response at all.
Then to top it off, continued running after I turned off the ignition and removed the key with accompanying lights on the dash doing their best impression of a 1970s disco.

Limped home on 1200rpm ish, limped to work this morning the same.
Did a bit of googling, all seemed to point to wet footwells which I checked and are dry.
On trying a Bsi reset I noticed the negative battery terminal was very loose and had no doubt been arcing (perhaps causing spikes?)

When I reconnected everything (securing the loose terminal with a self tapper) the ECU was making some scary noises - like a relay clicking but much faster.
I had noticed it making an occasional noise on turning ignition on before but this was like a electrical buzzing, very noisy.

Mate at work suggested whipping ecu out and inspecting it inside for damage - sure enough as soon as I cracked the thing open I could smell that awful burning circuit smell and there was a large amount of burned circuit board around the middle of where the pins join the board.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I can only assume the ecu was burned out by the battery terminal problem. It was jump started a couple of times in the summer too, but I guess the terminal being loose for so long has gradually buggered the ecu possibly taking out the maf sensor before that.

Looking on Ebay for ECUs I can't find an exact match for my part number (281 001 977) - closest I can find is one number out (978 on the end) and I've noticed some people sell them with BSi and key, some just ECU and chassis number for car it came from and some just ECU on their own.

What are my options for sorting this? I'm assuming any replacement ECU need telling with a computer to play nicely with the car?

I've got half a mind to just cut my losses before it turns into a money pit, as I'm due an MOT in the new year and I already know I need a flexi and engine mount. Cambelt interval looming too. But it's such a good car otherwise it'd be a bloody shame.

Dilemma I have is: is it worth spending 30-100 quid on anything from ECU to full ECU/BSI/Key combo plus whatever it'll cost to get them to talk to my car?
I preferred shoestring motoring before all this electronic bollocks...bangernomics are starting to look like a ponzi scheme!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had better Fridays... :)
Attachments
Toast
Toast
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: ECU fried...literally :/

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Sorry to hear this,
If I'm correct & I believe I am you need the E.C.U, bsi & key all from the same car
Your's is a pre mux (before 2000) 110 hdi but the part no's don't have to match your's :?
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Your's is a pre mux (before July 2001) 110 hdi
EFA

Nasty! That ties in with the "don't use jumpleads" thread, modern electronics don't like sparks. Although that looks more serious to me.

I've not much knowledge I'm afraid, I'd only Google and I'm sure you tried that already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-406-E ... xyIj5SCPMM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-PEUGEOT- ... Swt6ZWWJYP

There are presently 2 more but the prices are mad.

I've no idea how you'd ho about cloning or whatever but I suggest this is a good place to start - http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Forum1.aspx

Sorry I can't be more help :(
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

Cheers for the replies fellas, gonna scratch around locally and see if I can grab the holy trinity of ecu/bsi/key from a similar aged 110 tdi. Given the state of the ECU, even if I could code a s/h one to my car who knows what happened the BSI when the fireworks were going on.

Just hope my theory that a combo of jump starts and a loose battery terminal is what killed it. Obviously I'll check earths/starter motor connections and that the alternator is putting out a sensible voltage and keep everything crossed it behaves.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Our own jonsowman is probably the man to ask for help with this :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I can't help thinking that you'd be best to buy another 406 and break this one for parts? decent working cars are quite cheap at the moment and even if you do get a matching ECU set you still won't know if any of the other components have been affected?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

The thought has crossed my mind :(
I've managed to source what I hope is the right bits now and I figure for the sake of 60 quid and a mornings removing skin from my knuckles, it's worth a shot.
As you say, possibility of other damage and whether the fault that caused it is still there are a worry.
I should know on Saturday...

Just one worry I have is whether the key chip alone is enough - won't I need the "receiver" on the ignition barrel too?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

No you don't need to 'swap out the receiver..just the imob chip.
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

Phew! Cheers, puts my mind at rest. :D
Kit arrived this morning, all looks in order.

Can think of better ways to spend me first Saturday off work in yonks, but needs must.
Thanks for all the help and advice, here's to a triumphant return tomorrow eve...
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

Update...and it's not good :/

Fitted ecu/bsi/key chip Saturday and to my initial delight started first time. But revved straight up to just under 3k and throttle seemed to have little/no effect (actually lowering revs when pressed hard!)
Turned off ignition, unplugged MAF sensor and oddly it started and ticked over perfectly but now no throttle response whatsoever. Same after plugging back in.

So near yet so far it seems...dunno what to do next, tried to get to a scrappy on Saturday to try a throttle position sensor (can they cause such an issue?)
Unless I'm missing something obvious - I'm fast running out of ideas and cash to punt. :(
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

A plug-in might be your best option..to see what's going on..
See if anyone on here as access to. Pp2000. ( whos near'ish to u)
It'd save you playing - parts Roullete..
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

Yeah it's what I'm scared of...I'm already into round one of parts roulette and while I know these definitely needed replacing, from here on in it's a potential money pit.
If only I had a old laptop with XP on it I think I'd be on it with PP2000 - I have a cable from a former Audi shed adventure which it turns out is a fabled "fits all - even Pugs" Ebay cheapo. I can find the software easy enough, just ain't got the hardware to run it.

I did put out a shout in the forums to see if anyone in Norfolk could help, no joy so far.

Googling earlier (I know...I shouldn't!) a potential answer seems to be the brake light switch (really? what the actual f*ck!)
I'm guessing it talks to the ECU and if brakes are applied kills throttle therefore if it fails and says the brakes are applied then the throttle is dead?
Like you say, I need diagnostics :)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Ah crap..

I'd of honestly some one here wouid of had pp2000 .
(Local'ish)

Maybe and another shout..might be worth a try..

This forum seems dead most days.. :(
So not many peeps might read..all Fred's..

Shout louder perhaps..like this :supafrisk:

CAN ANy oNE IN NoFuck or local ISh ...help this chap out..
Come on its Christmas..
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, sorry the replacements didn't work out ( yet.. )

Try 406coupeclub.org for members in Norfolk - Ian ( Nutski ) maybe local to you - or also try PeugeotForums for a wider PP2000 network. You will need to join and do 20 posts before you can PM, if I spot you on there I can guide you through it.

Kelv.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
CaptainJapseye
1.8 8v

Post by CaptainJapseye »

Should have PP2000 working on a laptop tomorrow...altho the chances of pulling a big f*ck off rabbit out of my non existent hat before xmas are pretty slim I'd wager.

So I find myself on Gumtree slightly ashamedly searching "almera"
Is this what it's come to?!
Only thing in my price range that might work for more than a couple of bloody months!

Shoestring motoring sucks.
Up until 5 years ago I'd have argued the opposite.
I wanna get an old Merc diesel I can run on coal dust :)